FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Preferred Airlines??  (Read 3265 times)

Description:

Offline TabiCat

Preferred Airlines??
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
We have only flown with DS twice. What are preferred Airlines for handling PA.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Preferred Airlines??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »
For oeanut allergies, American and US Air. 

DFW has far more food options than Charlotte. But I can tell you where we've eaten if you fly US Airways.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
yeah - I try American when I can --- then US Air and United after that. Alaskan also does not serve peanuts or packets of nuts during drink service/etc. They do have snack packs for sale that include mixed nut packs...but those seem to be few and far between and I don't seem to have a 'smell reaction' to mixed nuts like I do to peanuts (excepting Cashews...which is why Jet Blue is out!)

I'm flying Alaskan in a few days actually on an American code-share.

I had to get a doctor's note for work travel so I can over-ride the cheap airfare on Jet Blue and Southwest as well as Delta/Continental due to my allergies. What a PITA when my American fare is 2-3x that of colleagues.

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »
AA does served warmed tree nuts in first class. I don't know if it's every flight. We've been fine on it--when DS was TNA.  We just sat far from first class.

I just made a reservation for ds to fly alone on AA, if that says anything.

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
So AA, United,

Is jet blue mostly a tree nut concern or PN as well?

We avoid consummation of TN but have not worried about airborne with them.

Wasn't there a recent article about a PN allergin child being barred from a flight on AA
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 07:40:25 PM »
Jet Blue for me is the cashews...I'm about as bad airborne to cashews as I am peanuts. They smell stronger and worse for me too.

Sigh..yeah...so...I think getting banned off a flight depends what kind of accommodations are needed, if a general announcement needs to be made, who the flight crew is and if they have a personal vendetta against pa people, and who the gate crew are and if they have a vendetta against pa people.

I'm smell sensitive, and sure I'm uncomfortable, but a person or two with peanuts around me won't cascade me down into a big reaction. I might get a red face, but it's b/c I'm a bit anxious. I can get a bit stuffed up and eyes red/itchy (like someone who is allergic to cats, say...) but I've never had it progress.  It went a little further once on a SW flight and I started getting hivey and a scratchy throat...but benedryl killed it. That got a  little freaky though and I was anxious...so never SW again.

Point being - I don't have them make announcements...and if someone RIGHT in my row has something I'll speak up to them and tell them I am allergic and have to get up and I'll return when they are done. I bring them back a wet wipe usually. Once I moved my seat completely with the help of a flight attendant b/c the whole family was eating roasted peanuts. A nice person 10 rows back switched with me without griping :)

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:46 PM »
It looks like ds' AA flight is actually going to be a US Airways plane. US Airways has sold snack boxes with Sunbutter. :heart:

We've never had them mKe an annoincemen either. DS did react when a woman in his US Air flight last year was eating peanuts. I can't remember if he moved or the attendant asked her to put them away. I just posted about it recently but can't remember what happened. (Really tired). Either way, it resolved.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:29 AM »
Is there any (American) airline that doesn't serve peanuts or tree nuts during free service?  (I'm aerosol reactive to TN, contact for PN.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum