imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chinese dumplings  (Read 3997 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Chinese dumplings
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
Per request from ajas.

I referenced this recipe  but changed a few things.  I used a 20oz pack of ground turkey, then the garlic, ginger, 2 thinly sliced scallions, some Tamari, sesame oil,an egg, in about the recommended measures. 

I used Nasoya wrappers.  Either the square wonton ones or round dumpling ones work.  I seemed to have an easier time making the round ones pretty this time. 

When I cook them, I drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a non stick skillet, add about 1/4 c. water, and then place the dumplings on the pan.  Cover, then let them steam until the water is gone.  Then, uncover and let them get brown on the bottom.  I place on wax paper or parchment(before and a clean piece after cooking). 

I make a dipping sauce with some of the tamari, sesame oil, seasoned rice vinegar, minced or crushed clove of garlic and some grated ginger and sliced scallions, and brown sugar to taste. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chinese-pork-dumplings/
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Chinese dumplings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
Do you fill take out orders?  LOL!

:tongue: I miss Thai and Chinese food so much!

guess

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
Yes

Offline MaryM

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
I made these today.  Egg free , 1/2 ground pork and 1/2 ground turkey.  Made homemade wrappers and left out the sesame.  YUM!  DS loved them.  DD hated them.  I loved them.  Haven't had a dumpling in over 20 years.  Can't eat Chinese food with my nut allergies...

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
Mary can you share your recipe for the wrappers? I'm too scared to try commercial ones.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:05:03 AM »
I have a recipe from a cookbook of recipes from China (not Americanized recipes) that calls for just water and flour to make the dumplings.  I remember the measurements were off and I think I had to add a lot more flour to make it work.

It calls for 10 oz flour and 8-12 oz very hot water.  That's almost a 1 to 1 ratio of flour to water and I think that's way too much water.  But you do want more water than you would put into a bread-type recipe. 

I know the right consistency by feel and am not sure how to explain it well.  You make a ball of dough with flour and water (mix and need) and then take very small amounts of dough and roll them out.  You want to roll from the center of the dough outward and keep turning the dough on a well-floured surface so the center is slightly thicker than the rest, if possible.  If that's too complicated, you can just press your small ball down flat a bit and then roll it out with a roller.  You want it thin but not so thin it will break when you try to stuff it or so thick it won't hold together well when you fold it.  Usually homemade skin is a bit thicker than commercial.

Which allergens do you deal with?  We use Twin Marquis brand.  They are made in the USA and contain just wheat, water, corn starch, salt, and sodium benzoate.  I called the company about allergens and felt the were safe for our allergy-set since DS is doing baked for several allergens now.  I am not as worried about xcontam with those two allergens.  The other allergens DS has were not in their facility.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »
You can see how wet the dough is in this video.  They use some type of machine at the end when forming the skins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLhzcV1aQU

This video shows how to roll the skins but goes way faster than a beginner would.  But it shows the idea of starting from the middle and going out and turning the dough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjwl8uypN4

Offline MaryM

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
This is the recipe I used.  I just did a search for vegan wonton wrappers.

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/vegan-wonton-wrappers-281598

guess

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »
3 cups flour 1 cup room temp or cold water.  It's the simplest of doughs. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
Yes, when we made them in ds's preschool class, many years ago, it was just flour and warm water.  and the dough was pretty stiff/dry, but not as dry as pasta dough.  Just a bit more pliable.  And thicker in the center as you roll them, so once folded, it is all even, basically.  The center does not get doubled up like the edges. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
What makes them different than shells then?  Or periogis?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
What are shells? 

Different than pierogi in the flavor and filling.  Pierogi have potatoes or potatoes and cheese inside.  I have never made them, so don't know if or how the dough may differ when making them homemade.  I make them thinner, dough wise, than commercially made pierogi I have had.

Meltedheart

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 04:10:56 AM »
Dipping Sauce
• ½ cup soy sauce
• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp chili oil

Ingredients for Dumpling
• 60g minced pork or king prawns
• ¼ tsp chopped garlic
• 1 tsp grated ginger
• 1 Chinese cabbage leaf, chopped
• 5 stems Chinese garlic chives (nira), chopped
• a pinch of salt

• 10 round gyoza wrappers or gow gee wrappers
• vegetable oil for frying
• ¼ cup water

Method

1. Prepare the dipping sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Place all the dumpling ingredients together in a bowl and combine well.
3. Place a wrapper on a plate or board and, using one finger, wet round the edges.
4. Put 1 tablespoon of filling on the center of the wrapper.
5. Fold the wrapper over the filling, seal the edges together by pressing and making small pleats.
6. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
7. Heat a non-stick frying pan and add a little oil, swirling around the pan.
8. Lay a few gyoza side by side in one or two rows in the pan, and cook on one side until golden brown. Then using a spatula turn over one row all at once. Add water and put a lid on to steam.
9. Steam for a couple of minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
10. Serve hot with dipping sauce.

Note:
• You can buy already prepared gyoza dipping sauce at most Asian Supermarkets.