FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Alaskan Air  (Read 2797 times)

Description: relating my good experience

Offline nameless

Alaskan Air
« on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »
I haven't flown Alaskan before, but I did yesterday. GREAT experience.

1) no pn served during snack service. It was some "chex mix" type snack with no blatant nuts/on (but of course a warning on the package)

2) sold snacks include tree nuts, but not many people bought (and tn smell doesn't bother me)

3) the roomiest standard coach seats I've ever been in

4) they have a 'we don't serve blatant pnts, but our sold/free stuff might contain' and CYA statement. Pretty typical and I do ok with that level of statement when flying

I'll fly them again for sure...seriously -- SO MUCH LEG ROOM in the 737!!

...not to mention the pilot who introduced himself as having 20 years experience and 15 years before that as a navy pilot. Liked the re-assurance for sure given the recent air accidents (and that Japanese Taipei one I SAW RIGHT BEFORE I LEFT FOR THE AIRPORT!!!)

Beautiful take off and landing, seriously - best landing ever! And San Diego is a SHORT runway for a 737! I'm going to tweet a thanks to the pilot, it was THAT GOOD.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:00:14 PM by nameless »
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

guess

Re: Alaskan Air
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »
I know about the flight crash in Taipei.  Was there a Japan flight too?  That's horrible.

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:03:27 PM »
I know about the flight crash in Taipei.  Was there a Japan flight too?  That's horrible.

I don't know geography very well...I meant Taipei.

I think I had a little PTSD after seeing the clip on CNN, I believe I screamed at my mom, "NONONO I DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT!!!!! TURN IT OFF!!!! TURN.IT.OFF." 

I mis-remembered where it happened. I was close...

PTSD.

I'm already an anxious flier!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »
As an FYI:  It's hard to get hired by Alaskan Air.  They screen their potential pilots with a fine tooth comb.  They also tend to hire people who have ties to the PNW.  They do not have a lot of pilot turn over.  It's a desirable company to work (at least for pilots, I don't know about other positions). 

(Not trying to drum up business for them, DH does not work for them.)

I'm glad you had a great experience.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »
Great to hear!  I'll be adding this to our lit of potential airlines the next time our favourites are unavailable.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »
Just chiming in to say that I've had really good experiences on them as well. HOWEVER, one of their partner carriers is Delta, so make sure to check carriers ahead of time.
The 3 is silent.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »
Yeah, WestJet partners with Delta too.  :(

Another option for international flights: Iceland Air doesn't serve free PN/TN, and only has one for purchase snack option with TN.  Our travel agent is going to call to see if they can remove that option for my flight or at least for the people in the rows next to me.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum