FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: District now requiring all parent "volunteers" to obtain background checks  (Read 4539 times)

Description: will 504 protect us.

Offline daisy madness

I agree that they should not be able to require you to pay.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Please keep us posted.

Offline TabiCat

Based on the cost it sounds like the check is the more in-depth check that is required here of all teachers, daycare workers, bus drivers, social workers etc. The parent /volunteer checks required by law here are usually less in-depth and cost much less involving basically running name Date of birth and idea numbers through certain databases.  Many districts with there own police forces have access to those and don't even hire these checks out they have someone authorized to do them and the district covers the cost. We professionals go through a much more in-depth process that cost about 50 dollars and includes full fingerprinting.

I have to say while I think they need to find ways to streamline and reduce/ absorb costs I fully support background checks for those in contact with children.  There are a lot of people out there I would be wary about in my kids school and I am willing to submit to a background check if it reduces the chances of one of them gaining contact to kids.

Monsters don't away look, sound, talk, or smell like a monster.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline SilverLining

I'm surprised this is new. They started it back in the nineties when I was volunteering. However, the school paid for it. Within the last five years they now require the volunteer to pay it.

Since the school requires parents to pay for the background check to volunteer, I think it's unreasonable to expect the school to pay for the background check for both parents in your family. If it's for medical reasons, they should only be required to pay for one.

You may have very legitimate reasons why both of you need to be able to go on different trips, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect the school to pick up the double cost.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:14:40 PM by SilverLining »