login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Eosinophilia esophagitis  (Read 3304 times)

Description:

Offline Vspesh

Eosinophilia esophagitis
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
Hoping someone has info about this.  My 4 year old started oral immunotherapy to peanut last feb.  tolerated until 2 1/2 weeks in when he began to have reflux.  The following week he had vomiting episodes.  Very frightening since before that he had no issues at all.  Went to pedi gastro and she thought My son might have EoE.  It's an esophagitis initiated by ingestion of a food allergen.  It causes eosinophils to develop in the esophagus.  He had to have an endoscopy and sure enough that's what it was.  He is 100% better now, doesn't need Prevacid.  We have to get a follow up endoscopy in September.  If cleared or improved, the conclusion is that it's the peanuts.
Have any of you had experience with EoE.???
I also want to know, for those who have trialled the peanut patch, did anyone of you have these issues prior or post study??????

Offline rebekahc

Re: Eosinophilia esophagitis
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
Hi and welcome!  :bye:

I don't have much experience with EoE, but we do have a section lower down in the specific allergens section called Other foods/MFA/EE where you might find some information. I have heard that developing EoE is one of the risks with food allergen immunotherapy/desensitization.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Eosinophilia esophagitis
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »
Welcome!  I have heard that desensitization can cause EoE if people 'push through' stomach pain symptoms. 

EoE is diagnosed by first having a scope with biopsy and then going on a PPI for at least a few months and then get another scopy/biopsy.  If a person has 15 or more eosinophils/HPV then they get diagnosed with EoE at that time. 

If a person has EoE there are two main treatments, each of which are about equally effective.  People either avoid the top 8 food triggers (dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, fish and shellfish) or take swallowed steroids. 

It sounds like your doctor may not have followed all these steps.

This website has good info.   http://apfed.org/about-ead/egids/eoe/?q=what_is_eoe