login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Unanswered Questions  (Read 10114 times)

Description: Late in life Peanut butter allergy

Offline SilverLining

Re: Unanswered Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:46:35 AM »
And it could take far less than one peanut. 

I'll repeat that adult onset allergies are just as dangerous and ones acquired as a child. Your mast cells don't get to use the %2

And I am living proof.

Also, my allergic reactions were just an inconvenience for years....until one day they almost killed me. So, not only can adult on-set become life threatening, but you can rely one "but my reactions have always been _____" and assume that's what they will always remain.

ninjaroll, I have found your posts in this threat quite interesting.

And I want to throw one idea out. How long ago since there has been a peanut/butter recall? Is it possible recalled pb could still be on the shelf over there?  (Are stores obligated to remove it....is the information as easily accessible to them, etc.)

And if it's only peanutbutter, and not actual peanut or other products made with peanut, then it is not a peanut allergy. It may be an allergy to a different ingredient.

Offline BethelAbba

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
And it could take far less than one peanut. 

I'll repeat that adult onset allergies are just as dangerous and ones acquired as a child. Your mast cells don't get to use the %2

Nice to meet you too, Macabre....

weirdly, death doesn't upset me as much as it does others.  I was almost there in 2011.  Long story short, appendix was minutes from bursting when they finally figured out what was wrong.   Because I have Diverticulosis.... or Diverticulitis... one of these days I do need to remember which leads to which... they couldn't determine if it was that or appendicitis.   It all came down to the difference between two x-rays.

In any case... discussed your information with my wife and we'll take it all to heart and see an allergist.

And I am living proof.

Also, my allergic reactions were just an inconvenience for years....until one day they almost killed me. So, not only can adult on-set become life threatening, but you can rely one "but my reactions have always been _____" and assume that's what they will always remain.

ninjaroll, I have found your posts in this threat quite interesting.

And I want to throw one idea out. How long ago since there has been a peanut/butter recall? Is it possible recalled pb could still be on the shelf over there?  (Are stores obligated to remove it....is the information as easily accessible to them, etc.)

And if it's only peanutbutter, and not actual peanut or other products made with peanut, then it is not a peanut allergy. It may be an allergy to a different ingredient.

Nice to meet you as well.

(A) it's been this way for about 3 years now and I have just "lived with it."    I don't eat Peanut butter often (or peanuts).... when I first came to Taiwan 6 years ago they were a daily staple.... and I mean daily.  I loved having a PBJ for lunch: quick, simple and cheap meal that helped us save money.   Now, because of the reactions, I have only 1 or 2 PBJ's a year.   And I've stopped eating RAW peanuts nearly entirely.   .... leads us to ....

(B) It's nearly impossible to avoid Peanuts entirely in Taiwan.   They show up everywhere, in nearly every dish.   Bite into an egg breakfast sandwich and you'll find they've added a layer of peanut butter.   I've seen peanuts cooked in fried rice.  In soup.  In sandwiches.  In Ice Cream (that was a flavor I never want to taste again... ewwww) and everything in between.   My Father-in-law keeps them in a jar at the dinner table for a snack DURING the meal.     Taiwanese seem to love the peanut.

(C) If there was a recall of Peanut Butter, I would hope that Costco as a company would have the sense to consider what they have exported out to their foreign divisions.   The Peanut Butter that seems to affect me worst / fastest seems to be what we buy there.   The Kirkland brand peanuts likewise were giving me problems, so I stopped buying them 3 years ago.

(D) If one is allergic to peanuts, does it naturally flow out to other nuts?  I can eat cashews or almonds without issue.  It's just peanuts that consistantly destroys my digestive system.

To one and all who've replied.   Thanks for your thoughts.  I have read them, but don't have the time to do individualistic replies.   It seemed that this one covering Macabre & Silverlining would pretty much tackle the whole.

I'll be around for a bit.... my curiousity is piqued and I do intend to find out what's going on.   I just have a natural aversion to doctors that is going to have to be overcome for me to move to the next phase of this "Investigation."   Keep pushing me... it'll get done.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
(D) If one is allergic to peanuts, does it naturally flow out to other nuts?  I can eat cashews or almonds without issue.  It's just peanuts that consistantly destroys my digestive system.

Hi and Welcome!

This site is a great resource as you are finding out.

No, being allergic to peanuts is not directly related to other nuts.  Peanuts are Legumes not nuts.  Some other Legumes are soy, peas and beans.  Peanuts grow in the ground.

"Tree nuts" which is where all the nuts are tossed are comprised of actual nuts and of drupes that all grow in trees.

There are some great websites that explain the differences.

Good luck with your visit with the doctor and your research. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 01:12:39 PM »

(A) it's been this way for about 3 years now and I have just "lived with it."   

It was several years between my first reacting and my first anaphylactic reaction.

I am not saying it is that way with everyone. But I do feel strongly that people who have a food allergy need to be prepared.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »

(A) it's been this way for about 3 years now and I have just "lived with it."   

It was several years between my first reacting and my first anaphylactic reaction.

I am not saying it is that way with everyone. But I do feel strongly that people who have a food allergy need to be prepared.

Exactly.  I had several years of mild itching and such with certain allergens.  Full blown anaphylaxis now.

Offline Mamalaoshi

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:59 AM »
I'd like to bump this topic.

I had a similar experience.  I have many allergies and intolerances but lived off peanut butter sandwiches for lunch for 30 years of my life.  The last few years I've had a similar reaction- I cannot take one bite of peanut anything without ending up in the bathroom for a while with diarrhea and painful cramps, lots of gas and bloating.  I still feed my kids peanut butter and don't notice any allergic symptoms just touching it (and with toddlers it does get smeared on me sometimes).  I had repeated allergic reactions (hives, throat swelling) to lentils five years ago and so I no longer eat those.  I also have digestive reactions to other legumes.  I find it curious why I would develop these allergies that seem so random to me.  Because of my reaction to lentils, do you think my peanut reaction is an allergic reaction or just a food intolerance? 

(By the way, I LOVE Taiwan also. Lived in Taibei for five months, spent a couple weeks in a hospital there with a spontaneously collapsed lung. Can't wait to go back someday.)
DD1- Asthma, Allergic to dust and dog saliva
DD2- ? something but haven't figured it out yet
DS- Asthma, Allergic to tree nuts, dairy, dust
Me- Allergic to avocado, carrots, lentils; OAS to stone fruits, bananas, melons, corn; FI to legumes, corn, treenuts; and way too many environmental allergies

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 06:56:20 AM »
Have you seen an allergist in the past?  Can you be tested now?

Allergies can develop at any time.  Since lentils and peanuts are legumes, I would wonder if the kind of reaction you are currently having to peanuts will with repeated exposure, develop into anaphylaxis.  My suggestion is to see an allergist who has experience with food allergies.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »
Note that diarrhea symptoms can be followed with a sudden loss of blood pressure.  :-/  They can be very dangerous.

It's not uncommon for someone to have allergies to more than one type of legume. 

I developed my allergies 10 years ago--as an adult.  Yeah--it happens.  :(
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts