FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Why your 504 should cover restraints and seclusions  (Read 2539 times)

Description: this happens in schools

ninjaroll

Why your 504 should cover restraints and seclusions
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
For those whose K12 504 plans do not cover the restraints and seclusions not used on a child with LTFA, you may want to consider adding language to it.  It is more a staple of special education but for a child that has an episodic hidden life threat condition who must have access to meds at all time and who may be asthmatic this might be something to address via 504.

There are no federal protections for children in schools from restraint and seclusions.  One would have to look towards the state laws, even then their use is typically dictated by district policy.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09719t.pdf

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: Why your 504 should cover restraints and seclusions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:13 AM »
This is VERY GOOD advice . . . it had never occurred to me that staff might seclude or restrain until I had opportunity to talk to a mom of profoundly autistic child at one of our elementary schools a few years back . . . she gave me to understand this practice was not necessarily reserved for "special ed" children OR for when truly necessary (safety) . . . her stories were horrifying to me (and to her) . . . but I was too new to all of this to get the possible implications for our own situation . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ninjaroll

Re: Why your 504 should cover restraints and seclusions
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
For those who did not know of restraints and seclusion here is an example of 'seclusion'. Please note there is NO federal law regulating restraints or seclusion use in K12. It is not a FAPE violation. Please make note in your schools if they use a "Quiet Room" or whatever the school may call it. Ask, look, be aware and put it in your 504 that under no circumstance are restraints or seclusion to be used with your child and that he or she will NEVER be left unattended without immediate access to rescue meds.

http://helpingalex.squarespace.com/blog-native/helpalex