imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Caution: New auto injector NOT for anaphylaxis  (Read 4382 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

Caution: New auto injector NOT for anaphylaxis
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:11:12 PM »
This one looks a lot like an Allerject (Auvi-Q) but has a very different drug and very different purpose.  Please advise others so they don't get confused.

http://www.evzio.com/hcp/
http://allergicbutterfly.blogspot.ca/2015/02/meet-evzio-newest-talking-auto-injector.html#more

Although I suspect the EVZIO wouldn't be too common in schools or children's areas... but what do I know - I live in a very sheltered bubble world.  Possibly in high schools and universities though?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:12:51 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hedgehog

Re: Caution: New auto injector NOT for anaphylaxis
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:36 PM »
Wow, it does look similar, in spite of different colors and graphics.  I had heard they were planning on coming out with an injector to be used for overdose, but did not what form it would be in (I pictured more of an epipen style in my mind).
USA

ninjaroll

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »
In USA naloxone (Narcan) is typically in the hands of federal law enforcement who work drug enforcement, and increasingly local law enforcement.  For the record Narcan is only harmful if someone mistakes it for epinephrine, and this form of it looks markedly different from an Auvi-q compared to the generic forms of injectors I've seen in ambulances or carried by law enforcment.  Most people carrying one know for sure it wouldn't be the correct substance to use for an allergic reaction.

The difference isn't just appearance but who would carry it unless you need both.  In that case you better mix and match your autoinjector types.  I'm going to make a guess that this version is for the end user segment, patients or family members and not first responders.   

Offline Allergic Butterfly

• The Allergic Butterfly blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »
For the record Narcan is only harmful if someone mistakes it for epinephrine, and this form of it looks markedly different from an Auvi-q compared to the generic forms of injectors I've seen in ambulances or carried by law enforcment.

I agree that paramedics aren't the most likely candidates to mistake the EVZIO and Auvi-Q. My guess is it would be a caregiver trying to locate an EpiPen without being familiar with the Auvi-Q. Neither drug would be likely to [directly] cause severe harm anyways if used when unnecessary. The danger would be if the correct drug were not administered.
❤ The Allergic Butterfly

I'm a teenager with multiple food allergies (plus environmental, insect, and drug allergies) trying to fit into a social world. Find my blog at:
allergicbutterfly.blogspot.com

ninjaroll

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:31:27 PM »
Moral of the story (for all of us) is don't rely on the boxy form factor alone which in many of our minds became indelible because it debuted on the market as an epinephrine autoinjector competing with EpiPen. 

Practical issues aside that label design is ugly as sin.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

I agree that paramedics aren't the most likely candidates to mistake the EVZIO and Auvi-Q. My guess is it would be a caregiver trying to locate an EpiPen without being familiar with the Auvi-Q. Neither drug would be likely to [directly] cause severe harm anyways if used when unnecessary. The danger would be if the correct drug were not administered.

What care giver would have the EVZIO?  I don't think schools will have it, nor day care centres. And a babysitter who has the need for it...I'd be looking for a new sitter. No way would I want my child in a home where they expect to need it.

ninjaroll

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:12:43 AM »
S/he may have meant if the situation is more in line with a facility for adults who for some reason stock the commercial version rather than the first responder version.  I can see that happening.  Not very likely given what I've seen on Narcan roll out across USA amongst first responders but maybe a residential facility for rehab or juvenile detention.  Opioid overdose can happen in well to do homes, too, given it's often a prescription drug of choice.  With a high functioning addict you may never know.  Well, prior to that ugly as sin design that will telegraph EXACTLY what you're carrying it for.  The reverse could happen if the drug in that form factor becomes more visible than Auvi-q.  We could be mistaken for carrying naloxone.  Oh wouldn't that be a hoot going through TSA and CBP. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:21 AM »

What care giver would have the EVZIO?  I don't think schools will have it, nor day care centres. And a babysitter who has the need for it...I'd be looking for a new sitter. No way would I want my child in a home where they expect to need it.

I could see it being in a high school nurse's office.  In a private home, or on the person of someone who has struggled with addiction and also has LTA, or more likely their family member.   Not likely in a daycare or elementary school, as you noted.  But that is not the only place you find epinephrine autoinjectors.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »
If it's in an individual's home, they would be familiar with what it is and what it is for. If a family have both, they would be familiar with both....and having them look so different is good.

~~~~

A high functioning addict is still an addict. Regardless of cause, I would not want my child in that home, not even for a visit without me there.

ninjaroll

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »
They may carry it for work.  In some jobs it's now required.  Matter of fact my childhood home I would have lived in a house that had lots of guns and probably naloxone autoinjectors.  Sounds awesome doesn't it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:01:11 AM by ninjaroll »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:57 PM »
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/04/gov_cuomo_announces_funding_fo.html

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- As the heroin and opioid epidemic continues to seep into homes on Staten Island and across the state, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has announced state funding to train school personnel on how to use the life-saving drug, naloxone, to stop potentially deadly overdoses.

He announced Wednesday $272,000 for training statewide. The funding will provide training and kits to schools to use anti-overdose drug naloxone, known by its brand name, Narcan.

So I have to ask....how have they been about epi there?