FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lufthansa  (Read 2465 times)

Description: epi-pen policy

Offline BensMom

Lufthansa
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:05:03 AM »
DS will be flying Lufthansa home from France in June. I found this on their website:

Applying medicine by means of an EpiPen™

Basically Lufthansa recommends that passengers who have allergies or food intolerances always carry their medication with them in their carry-on baggage. In the event of an emergency, our flight crew cannot apply medication by means of an EpiPen™ (epinephrine) auto-injector. Children and teenagers who carry an EpiPen™ (epinephrine) auto-injector with them can only fly on board Lufthansa aircraft if accompanied by someone who can be trusted to administer this.

I wonder if DS, age 19, is considered a teen or an adult in this scenario. He will be traveling with a group that includes 2 (older) adults. I just wonder if he'll have any trouble if he's not with them at check-in or seated with one of them. I emailed Lufthansa to ask.

Anyone ever fly them? It says they don't serve peanuts. The flight he'll be on is a daytime flight (the one to Paris is overnght and on United), so he's going to need food. Not sure what to do there. I don't even know how he handled the flights to/from Israel. I guess he managed.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Lufthansa
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
He will be accompanied by himself, who is trusted to administer, right? And I would think they would give no pause to even just him--but especially since he's with an adult. 

I have some ideas about food.  I think I posted them in the teen travel thread--what we did for DS when dinner was going to have to be during a 1 hour layover in Chicago.  I'll link to it. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline BensMom

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
Thanks Mac. Whatever food he takes on the flight home will either have to be purchased by him when he's there or travel with him for the 3 week trip, which I'm not sure is so realistic. I think he said the food on the flight home from Israel was labeled with ingredients.

Anyone have a travel insurance company they like? The trip coordinator mentioned Travelex. TravelSafe and a couple others.