imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: To IOFC or not to IOFC tree nuts  (Read 8736 times)

Description:

Offline TwoDDs

To IOFC or not to IOFC tree nuts
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »
Had regular allergist's appointment yesterday with my now 11 year old who is restricted pn/tn/shellfish.  Her allergist offered food challenges for "a number of tree nuts that I think, based on her history, will pose no clinical problem to her."   He also indicated that folks go both ways in response to this offer - some choosing just to continue on nut free and others opting for the testing with the idea that knowing could broaden food horizons.

At the time, my thoughts were that almond could do a lot to broaden food horizons.  But, now I'm thinking the additions would all still be peanut risky and maybe the only benefit is at home. 

I still feel like we will go forward with a challenge, but maybe I have overestimated the changes that might come therefrom.

Anyone been through this and have any insights? 

Offline starlight

Re: To IOFC or not to IOFC tree nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
I grew up assuming allergies to tree nuts because the doc was afraid to test me, but testing twice in my 20's has proven I'm not. It does open up quite a few options of the "may contain" variety. I'm too nervous to actually try them flat out, but I definitely eat the may contains now because the odds the particles of tree nut in a may contain being contaminated with enough peanut to throw me into a reaction is just infinitesimal (I have a relatively high threshold). Like I've eaten rolls out of a basket that includes bread with walnuts and have no trouble, and Famous Amos and Two Bite brands are others that have may contain TN but not PN.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
Thank you.  Yes, I suppose it could open up to may contains - good point.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
Being able to add tree nuts one by one has been life changing for DS.  Yes, we all could have gotten along fine without nuts forever, but having almonds, pecans and pistachios has been very nice. They are a source of protein and a healthy snack.  We use pecans in cooking. And really, we have Blue Diamond almonds in our house all the time.  He loves the Blue Diamond crackers.  I cried in the store the first time I bought them.

I just came to this forum to post a new (to me) source of peanut free walnuts, cashews, pecans, almonds and pistachios. We rarely have walnuts and cashews because we've only been able to buy them by mail, but I am excited that I can get this brand at TJ's and Whole Foods. 

I think it really depends on your kiddo's comfort zone, but DS was that age when he started to outgrow other tree nuts other than pecans (outgrew those earlier), and it's really been wonderful for him (and for us, too).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
Thanks Mac.  Yes, I will be nice to have nuts even if it is just at home.

Her blood work came back with an invitation to schedule an IOFC "for: Tree Nuts (except cashew/pistachio)"  I'm not sure what this means??  ie - am I to pick one or are we going to challenge a bunch at once?  Challenging a bunch seems crazy right?  But, we are talking about really low numbers - with two exceptions - under 1.0.  Her shellfish numbers have all come down a lot too!  I'm trying not to read too much into the fact that he keeps running her shellfish and adding in other items, but I can't help it.  Perhaps it was just a perfect day, though because her peanut number came in a 93.6 which is the lowest reading she's ever had, I believe - she's generally in the 180 range.

Anyway, no reason I need to know right away - challenge is on the books for October, 2016!  I can already taste the triple nut cranberry pies I will bake for Christmas!

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »
So, I got an answer to my question and thought I'd throw it on here.  We saw allergist last week for regular appt.  Numbers all way down again, returning a 70 for peanut!  Added component testing and it was no surprise.  ARA 1, 2 and 3 coming in from 12  to 48.  So, we're not going to be feeding this kid peanuts anytime soon.  But her downward trending has me triple guessing the desensitization I had my whole heart set on starting this summer.  Well, coupled with the fact that dd doesn't want to make the sacrifices that travelling for the treatment will require.  Anywho -

AS to the treenut challenge.  Dr's thought is that dd was never really allergic to more than pistachio and cashew and MAYBE had allergies to walnut and pecan that are diminishing.  (I think she once reacted to walnut - otherwise we are without any known exposures to treenuts.)  So, his plan is to run through a bunch:  almond, pine nut, brazil, hazelnut and if she's having a great day - pecan.  And, "If it's a stellar day - we might even eat a walnut." 

So, in the end, I do think that could open up tons of at home eating and it certainly worthwhile.  Glad we signed on. 

I'm a little rambly on re-read - too much coffee on a rainy day.

Thanks for listening.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:09:50 PM »
 :happydance:  That sounds like  a pretty awesome kind of day to me!!  :crossed: that all goes as planned!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
AND - it's coming . . ..  Can you feel it in the air?!  Amazing how fast a year goes.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »
Confirmed not allergic to almond, hazelnut or pine nut.  The doctor has not yet weighed in on pecan/walnut - but I'd call what I saw a fail.  So, alas, no triple nut cranberry pies in our future.  On the other hand - hello almonds and nutella.  I tried nutella for the first time yesterday after the challenge and, I'm not gonna lie - it is pretty darned fantastic!  Might cause me to start wearing yoga pants and drinking pumpkin lattes.  :)

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Fantastic news!  Congratulations!  Lots of happy dancing in your house.  Keep enjoying nutella!  I've never had it but people rave about it.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 07:16:43 PM »
Yea!!!!

So--take some Pillsbury crescent rolls and out a fab of Nutella inside before you roll them up and bake them.

You're welcome.

Offline Linden

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 11:14:34 AM »
Yea!!! Congratulations!!!
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
Mac, I'm totally going to use that tip tonight.  LOL.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
lol that is supposed to be "put a dab" not "out a fab."

But yeah--it's awesome.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »
Sounds great!  Will definitely give that a try.  Thanks all!