FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cinco de Mayo  (Read 2683 times)

Description: Gathered board links and discussion

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Cinco de Mayo
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
Gonna try to put the Mexican food links from this board section into this one thread and anybody please feel free to add own recipes / meal plan, etc here too.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: Cinco de Mayo
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
Quick "McMex Stirfry"

This is something I make when want something filling but fairly quick to fix.
Now, it's "quick" if you are good with a chef's knife and have a couple of LARGE fry pans.

We call it "McMex" as I'm Scot/Irish and DH is Mexican.  It's really fajita veggies.

Bell peppers -- red, green, yellow, orange -- whatever you have on hand.  Colors are pretty.

Onion -- red is best, white or yellow will work too.

Frozen corn or fresh corn cut off the cob.

Olive oil or other that can take pretty high heat.
Salt to taste.

1 Whole lime.

THINLY slice the peppers and onions.

In 1 pan on med-high+ heat, saute the peppers in small amt oil, going for some char for flavor.

In 2nd pan on med-high+ heat, saute the onions in small amt oil, going for some browning/char too.  Add the corn once the onions are about 1/2 done.  Some browning/char on corn is fine too.

Deglaze the pans using juice from 1/2 lime in each pan.

You may cook the above until very soft, or go for more al dente as you like.

~ ~ ~

We open & heat a can or two of refried beans or black beans, doctor those with more garlic and cumin and cayenne, to taste.

~ ~ ~

Use whatever tortillas you prefer -- corn or flour.  We char these on the gas burner.   ;D

I shred some cabbage and have other fixings, depending what's on hand:

Cilantro (of course)
jalapeno
radish
cheese(s)
lettuce
tomatillo
avaocado
(canned) roasted mild green chili pepper
sour cream or Grk yogurt
other canned/jarred salsa or taco sauce.

~
~
~

If I'm desperate or the avocados in storce sucked, then I buy some Holy Guacamole.   Usually doctor it with more lime, cayenne, cilantro.

~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

Of course -- BEER (cerveza)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:14:31 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
My super easy recipe?

Chicken, topped with salsa, bake.  Cover with cheese and broil.  Top with sour cream and avocado.

Also been known to brown ground beef, add jar of salsa, top with cheese and serve with sour cream and avocado.

If I only have bone in chicken? I make salsa chicken soup.  Boil in broth or water until cooked, remove bones and shred chicken.  Add chopped carrot, celery, onion, garlic and jar of salsa.  Serve in bowls with cheese, sour cream, avocado and lime.  (Have added black beans, corn, spinach, etc - really depends on which diet DH is on  :evil:)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »
Those sound easy and yummy, YKW, but my kids would not touch any of it.  Dh and i would like it, though. 

Tonight, I pulled together a sort of taco/fajita bar dinner.  I had chicken I had planned to cook last night.  Never happened.  So, I washed and made smaller pieces of the huge breasts.  Marinated 1/2 in my planned idea for last night which was fresh  rosemary, lemon, olive oil and garlic.  The other half, I marinated in a packet of taco seasoning mixed with lime juice, olive oil and garlic.  We grilled it all and will use leftovers for another couple of nights. 

I whipped up some guac, diced some tomatoes and lettuce, put out shredded Mexican cheese blend, the guac, and a black bean and corn salsa.  We all made things how we like them.  Dd had just the rosemary chicken in a tortilla and will have a mango for her fresh fruit/veggie item.  Ds chose the taco flavor chicken with cheese and lettuce.  Dh and I have it all.  I used the taco meat in my taco. 

I do soups like this too.  Make the basic mirepoix with garlic and broth, and  divide it to make a simple chicken noodle pot for the kids, and fancier soup loaded with veggies for dh and myself. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »
Taco bar tonight. With Kuner refried black beans with lime cooked with a can of regular (drained) Rotel, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese. Really basic. I needed something quick that I could make between picking DS up at 5:00 and getting him back to school for a concert at 6:30 and showering (me) in between. Whew! 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts