login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: International Flights  (Read 2894 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

International Flights
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
Dies anyone have experience with either Delta or Air France?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: International Flights
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
I assume delta serves peanuts on international flights.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
As it turns out the booking agent for both Air France and Delta is the same.  They said that they can't even put the request to withhold nuts on an Air France request, but they can on Delta.  But neither will make any guarantees.  OTOH Air France claims that their meals are nut free. 

*Sigh* 

Booking this trip is complicated enough wrt schedules and limited flights between NY and Warsaw; having to factor the allergies in is making it really difficult. 
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »
What about Iceland Air? KLM (I don't know their allergy policy)? Air Canada (buffer zone)? United (not my first choice)? WestJet has some international flights now that would get you to Europe completely peanut and nut-free. You may have to fly elsewhere on this end to get better airline choices. Or take another (allergy-friendly) airline for the long haul and a smaller one for the short flight within Europe. Just some ideas to look into.

Best of luck finding flights. We had enough trouble recently booking our trip within North America. Going to Northern Europe was far easier to book. I don't know too much about flying to Southern Europe.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:09 AM »
Does American not fly there? 

Do they hand out peanuts on Air France?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:49:44 AM »
You can book the flight through American or United, but they contract those flights out to other carriers like "Air Berlin", which is kind of like Germany's version of Spirit (um, no thanks).  For now we are holding reservations on Air France via Paris; we have to pay by Saturday or lose the reservation.  I'm going to keep looking.  Fingers crossed for a slow night at work tonight so I can search.

Spacecanada, we actually thought of doing Icelandair and taking advantage of their free stop-overs in Iceland.  We've always wanted to go there!  But we just don't have enough time to fly to Germany and then travel to Poland.  Icelandair doesn't fly to Poland.  :disappointed:
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
British Airways?

At least that would get you the transatlantic portion of things nut-free.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26:36 PM »
Any luck finding safe flights?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »
Air France Update:

The Good:  No nuts of any kind were served.  The flight crew was aware of DS and very solicitous of him.

The Bad:  The Allergen-free meals (free of Top 9) are only available on International flights that originate at Charles DeGaulle airport, which we knew. 

The More Bad:  Despite confirming and re-confirming, they didn't have his special meal on the return flight.  Not a tragedy since we a) weren't counting on it, and b) didn't trust that he would actually eat it.  He was well stocked with Tanabars and some plain yogurt, but it would have been nice if they had a safe snack for him.

The Random:  Air France has clearly fallen from it's position of the "Glamour Airline" that it was back in the 80's when they were one of our clients.  The planes were old and decrepit, dirty and service while service in the air was generally good, the ground crew was horrendous.  LOT Polish on the other hand, which we flew within Poland was fabulous.  Very impressive on all ends.  And no nuts on board either.
N.E. US