FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chef Cards for Traveling  (Read 11881 times)

Description:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Chef Cards for Traveling
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:54:22 AM by hezzier »

Offline BensMom

Re: Chef Cards for Traveling
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
Here's what we ended up with. It basically says he's allergic to all nuts ("dried fruits and fruits with husks"), "basically all sorts of nuts" then lists individual examples in parenthesis and says nut pastes and oils flours. (He says he doesn't really know if this is completely correct French-wise). The rest is from CM2s cards. I made it small enough to fit on a credit-card sized card stock.

AVIS IMPORTANT POUR LES RESTAURANTS
J'ai une allergie mortelle aux fruits secs (fruits à coques) et aux cacahuètes/arachides--en bref, toutes les sortes de noix (l'amande, le noix de cajou/l'anacarde, le marronnier, la noisette, le noix de pécan, etc.), leur huiles, leurs pâtes, et leurs farines.
C’est une condition très grave. Je risque mourir si je mange cette nourriture, si un plat est préparé avec de l’huile qui contient cet aliment, ou si il y a contact avec cet aliment pendant la préparation ou le service.
Pouvez-vous préparer à manger pour moi?
AVIS URGENT

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
It's okay, but really choppy.  And is he only allergic to some nuts? I would list all nuts on the list that may be a problem.  Don't leave it to someone to guess what may be included in 'etc'. 

Why the dried fruits and fruits with husks?  (What are fruits with husks, anyway?)  Is he actually allergic to them, or is this somehow related to nuts, because I don't see the connection, language-wise or allergy-wise (other than cross-contact).  If they are separate, you may want to include examples. 

I am not sure you need to mention oils twice (in the food preparation), as it may take away from the long list above. 

Just some thoughts.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
One other factor to bear in mind with chef cards in ANY location globally is that kitchen staff, waitstaff, and/or food service workers in general may not be entirely fluent in the locally prevailing language.

In United States cities, for example, you'd want language on Chef Cards to be in VERY simple, plain English.  Choppy is good in that case-- because many of those who will need to read it?  Have not-so-awesome English skills, and may have Spanish (or another language) as a first language.

There are also quite different dialects of French, Spanish, and English in different regions of the world, and in different parts of the same nation, even.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
The dry fruit with husks thing  (fruits secs (fruits à coques))is another description for nuts apparently. It's just not possible to list every nut that exists, so he used the "all sorts of nuts" phrase his professor suggested.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
SIL says to cover all - say I'm allergic to all nuts

"Je suis allergique a tous les noix"
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:31 PM »
SIL says to cover all - say I'm allergic to all nuts

"Je suis allergique a tous les noix"
This sounds better and what I would use for plain language. Fruits secs are simply dried fruits. I have never heard/seen either fruit term used for nuts - in Canada at least. I wonder if that is a France thing?

Offline BensMom

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »
I think I read on trip advisor or somewhere that cereal and other packaged goods use the fruit secs and that it doesn't mean dried fruit. It means dry fruit, which means nuts? Something like that--like nuts are the fruit of nut trees and they are dry, rather than regular fruit, which is juicy. I dunno. I saw it somewhere and I guess ds did too since he put it there. I already made the cards up, but will have time to adjust tomorrow if we feel necessary. I have someone else checking too.

I would think "toutes les sortes de noix" (all sorts of nuts) would get the point across the same as "tous les noix" all nuts. I think the problem (and maybe why the professor, who is French, used "all sorts of nuts") is that noix specifically means walnuts, but can mean nuts more generally depending on the context. So you wouldn't want anyone to think he's just allergic to all walnuts. That's my guess anyway as to the advised wording from his prof.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »
I'll have to ask ds about fruit secs, as I'm not finding it again--I'm finding dried fruit, not meaning nuts like I saw somewhere before.

I think I may make adjustments tomorrow and remove that part to simplify it. I think "all nuts" or "all sorts of nuts" with a list will be good, though it's impossible to have a comprehensive list. I think we should add pine nuts though (reminder to self.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:43:41 PM by BensMom »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:04:58 AM »
These are similar to what I use, and have translated into a handful of languages:
http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=219
We have the larger version, about twice the size of a wallet card I can carry in my purse.  Printed on bright goldenrod paper and laminated.

Speaking of which... I need to print some new cards with updated allergens for our trip next month.

Good call on walnuts = noix (sort of).  I guess it depends on context.  "tout les noix" is more general "all nuts", but could be misinterpreted by someone unfamiliar with the language, for sure. 

Here's a tree nut allergy page in French if you need some more terminology (and can read French):
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/pubs/securit/2012-allergen_treenuts-noix/index-fra.php

Offline BensMom

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
On one of CMs links it says "toutes sortes de noix et fruit secs" for "nuts." I did find another place that someone said fruit secs is a term used for nuts. But it seems that maybe it's not used much or could be confusing. The other term "fruits a coques" seems more common maybe. DS is sleeping, but I'm going to talk to him about taking out fruit secs to avoid confusion and see if he has some compelling reason he put it in there.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »
We're going to go with this:
J'ai une allergie mortelle aux cacahuètes/arachides et toutes les sortes de noix/fruits à coques (l'amande, le noix de cajou/l'anacarde, le marronnier, la noisette, le noix de pécan, pignes, etc.), leur huiles, leurs pâtes, et leurs farines.

We debated teh fruits a coques. He said that's more used on ingredients lists, but figured it wouldn't hurt. We took off the fruit secs.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »
Looks good :)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
Thank you for the really comprehensive link, Spacecanada-- VERY helpful!

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
pignes should be pignons

pecan can simply be pecan (with the accent aigu)

Is he traveling in France or Canada? Cacahuetes is used in France but arachides is used in Canada. When I was in Quebec, I did not see peanut listed as cacahuetes.  It was consistently listed as arachides.

You can also say fruit aux coquilles for coques.  Though, I've not heard either expression.

http://www.linternaute.com/dictionnaire/fr/definition/noix/

I often said "Ma fille a une allergie alimentaire aux oeufs, arachides, and tous des noix."

These aren't the most comprehensive cards but they can be helpful.

https://www.brokerfish.com/food-allergy-translation-cards#Nuts
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber