FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: *new* Kashi "Crunchy" Granola Bars - pn/tn free  (Read 5764 times)

Description: AND THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!

Offline nameless

*new* Kashi "Crunchy" Granola Bars - pn/tn free
« on: May 22, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
Brought up in another thread, and these are so f---ng good that I thought they deserved their own thread.

See info here: https://c.getsatisfaction.com/kashi/topics/peanut_allergies-twng7

I found the Chocolate Chip Chia at a Shaws --- they remind me of when I was a kid and I could eat granola bars --- the crunchy crispy "Oat & Honey" kind. Not much chocolate, but they are faintly tasting of coconut (which I love) and a wee bit of dark chocolate in there.

Crispy, crunchy, and it was a great snack. A filling snack, not like a Nutrigrain bar for which I'm hungry again 20 minutes later.

Gonna go buy a case of these on Amazon...these are going to be my new travel snack and 'back-up purse food'.

;D
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline nameless

Re: *new* Kashi "Crunchy" Granola Bars - pn/tn free
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
...and if you've tried these and like them...on Amazon w/ Prime for free shipping a box is $2.98 for an add-on item. I just discovered that when ordering 10 boxes, it all counts as an add-on!  So, less than $3/box which beats or is comparable to a grocery store.

Yay!
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
And no sesame!!!

Oh, happy, happy day!  I'm going to look for these this weekend.  Or order on Amazon. These could be really useful on our trip to Poland.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Will have to try these!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »
And no sesame!!!

Oh, happy, happy day!  I'm going to look for these this weekend.  Or order on Amazon. These could be really useful on our trip to Poland.  :thumbsup:

Well...kinda no sesame?  This was the CS's post:

Thank you for the question, Dianna! We always label for the top eight U.S. allergens, unfortunately sesame is not one of them. Sesame will always be listed as an ingredient, but if sesame is included in a natural flavor it will not be called out.

I am very happy to share that no peanuts, tree nuts, or sesame are allowed in the building where these bars are made! Our labels are updated for any recipe or practice changes, so I encourage you to always check your labels! I'm so glad these bars are an option for your daughter!

40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
Sesame will always be listed as an ingredient, but if sesame is included in a natural flavor it will not be called out.

Ok, this is confusing to me.  Are they making a generalize statement about labels in the US?  Or are they talking about their own products?

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
These have chia seeds in them?  I've never tried those, do they taste?
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
PC, in a product like that, you will not taste a specific flavor from chia.  It is rather bland and works more to bind things or as a thickener, and is also a seed with health benefits. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Nameless, what is the protein content of a bar?

Nevermind, found it online.  3 grams protein, 27 carbs.  3 grams fiber. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:20:57 AM by becca »

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »
PC, in a product like that, you will not taste a specific flavor from chia.  It is rather bland and works more to bind things or as a thickener, and is also a seed with health benefits.

Oh okay.. I guess since i've never had chia seeds, I wasn't sure what they were of if they had cx with peanuts or treenuts.
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 08:58:01 AM »
I just want to say how much we love these bars. We only find them at Target, though. And always on the bottom shelf.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline nameless

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »
They finally have them regularly on the shelf here. Sometimes I find them in the 'health food' section or organic section (not sure why).

I did buy a case from Amazon at one point and it was like $2/box. That was in the winter when I didn't worry too much about a package sitting out.

That being said, they are my 'emergency food' in my car. I opened one up the other day, heat of summer, and it was just fine after being in the car for 2 months. Chocolate bits a bit melty, but it was still crispy.

These are also my substitute breakfast at work if I'm in a rush leaving home.

GLAD YOU LIKE THEM!
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
My kids crush them up and use them as granola in yogurt with fruit for breakfast.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 06:57:49 AM »
So, I found, and bought what I thought was these bars.  But they are called Kashi Chocolate Chip Chia, crunchy 7 grain with quinoa granola bars.  Is this the same thing, but new box and label?  I have never seen the exact ones linked in this post. 

The label reads safe for TN/PN allergies, well, except for coconut, which suddenly became a tree nut a few years ago.  From all the questions on the Kashi allergen page, it seems they will lable for any may contains.  has anyone tried this exact bar? 

https://www.kashi.com/our-foods/bars/kashi-crunchy-granola-seed-bars-chocolate-chip-chia

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:59 AM »
That's the one, it threw me for a loop when they changed the packaging.