FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: EpiPen Case  (Read 2601 times)

Description:

Offline maeve

EpiPen Case
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
DD is going to sleep away camp in a couple of weeks. She'll be going to a combination marine science/surf camp. She normally carries her EpiPen and inhaler in her purse, but that likely won't be feasible at camp. Can anyone suggest a carrier that might also keep it cool. I've seen the Frio pouches for insulin but I'm not sure if that would be too large.

Thanks.  I know that I've procrastinated. :-/
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline spacecanada

Re: EpiPen Case
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »
Frio works well.  I have the large one and it fits two Epis and sort of an inhaler - I say that because the top has only a small piece of Velcro so it isn't very secure.  The insulating gel puffs up quite a bit, so it looks larger than it's capacity.

If she will be by water frequently, a Pelican Box (or Otter Box) will keep it waterproof and relatively cool.  You can get both at most camping stores in the kayaking section.  We love our Pelican boxes!  I don't know how they fare in extreme heat because we don't get that here. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
I put together some various links on cases.

Maybe it'll help?

Epinephrine cases / carrying tips - Clearinghouse thread

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »
We have been using Frio for years for all our summer outings.  Works great even in 100 plus degree weather!

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »
Thanks.  I ordered the Frio. I also got a waterproof fanny pack type of thing.  She'll also have a bag for her clothes that's waterproof and floats. The camp will have a cooler.  DH spoke with the director, and they've had experience in handling EpiPens for campers. We drive down tomorrow, and camp starts on Sunday.

It's good to know about the Frio.  She has a couple of field hockey camps this summer (one is a 4-day sleep-away camp), so the Frio will be helpful then.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber