login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Happy Birthday, ADA!  (Read 1939 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Happy Birthday, ADA!
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »
ADA turns 25 this Sunday, July 26th! Wow. 

I'm THRILLED that my child is growing up in a world that recognizes that people with disabilities are people first.   

I'm also thrilled that this anniversary is being celebrated by a group of young adults who are beginning to understand that not all disabilities are obvious to others-- and that people with disabilities still have a right to expect privacy and dignity, even if they need accommodations.  That a life-threatening, episodic medical condition is life-ALTERING, and changes how you must live in the world-- in other words, when something everyone must do, which you in particular cannot do as everyone else does, is impacted-- this IS a hidden disability.  ADAA, thank you for spelling that out.   :heart:

ADA and ADAA mean that children with lie-threatening food allergies have rights to safety and inclusion in classrooms. 

Break down the barriers facing disabled students--Ola Ojewumi
Ultimately, though our disabilities might provide us with challenges, the real barriers arise when adults and society do not believe in or value us.

I've learned that the label of disability is rarely something you're born with. Too often, it's something that other people decide for you. Though I sometimes feel the burden of my existence, I will not be bound by the limitations set before me, by those of my body or by those of this world.

Parents raising disabled children should teach them their worth instead of their limits.

I love that.  :heart:   LOVE that.

What have you seen that celebrates ADA's birthday?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline tigerlily

Re: Happy Birthday, ADA!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:06:32 PM »
Today's sermon celebrated the anniversary.  :heart:
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
How cool is that!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
Tweeted by @ElaineSchattner

"An Act That Enabled Acceptance"
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/opinion/sunday/an-act-that-enabled-acceptance.html?smid=tw-nytopinion

The A.D.A. is about more than ramps and Braille; it’s about dispelling stereotypes, ensuring parity and fairness, creating opportunities and opening up our society to the full spectrum of types and needs. It’s about accepting, even welcoming, a huge and often marginalized segment of the population.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:38:44 PM »
 :heart: The NYT story.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »
"Disability" is the only marginalized, disenfranchised group that any one of us can join without warning-- at any time.    :yes:

Don't recall where or when I read that, but it was an epiphany to me. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:26:30 AM »
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:02:49 AM by starlight »