FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Adults with Food Allergies

Adult onset food allergies?

(1/4) > >>

Irene:
Has anyone developed a food allergy in middle age?  This is rather ironic but after my son passed food challenges for tree nuts, I started eating tree nuts again and discovered that eating pistachios now make my throat sore and itchy.  It happened three times consecutively.  Of course I've stopped eating pistachios and have scheduled an appointment with an allergist. 
Just curious if something similar has happened to anyone else?  If my child has food allergies, am I genetically predisposed to developing it too?  Never thought of it going the other direction before!

Macabre:
Yep!  When I was 39 and my PA son was 8 I developed allergies to sesame and shellfish. I think I actually had an issue with peanuts, too, at lest for a while, based on reactions I had in work situations. 

BrandyWineSeattle:
Yep.  I had no allergies at all until a few months ago (I'm 34) after I had my daughter.  I went into anaphylactic shock during dinner one night with my two small kids and was absolutely terrified.  Now I have an epi pen and am SO food paranoid.  Apparently, shrimp is the biggest culprit, but I am allergic to other shellfish as well.

I feel your pain!

Peg:
Yes. See my post in introductions. I just found out I'm allergic to milk, wheat and egg whites. I also don't tolerate soy and almonds.

I need some help. I'm a weight watcher keeping off 133 lbs for 8 years now. I have to eat carefully.

So I'm very limited. And bored. I need some variety. Right now I'm eating

Lean meats
Veggies
Fruit but only 2 servings a day
Deli turkey
Sunflower seed butter
Corn thins, like rice cakes only very thin. 1 point for two on weight watchers.
Soups. Well broth and veggies and chicken.
Some safe recipes from Skinnytaste.com.

Peg:
I should add almost no bothersome symptoms except gas and miserable sinuses. My head is always underwater. We are addressing that mostly. I'm going for sublingual allergy therapy. I can't do shots. I take beta blockers. I've got epi pens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version