login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Roasted Blueberries  (Read 2260 times)

Description: WHY HAVE I LIVED THIS LONG WITHOUT DOING THIS

Offline nameless

Roasted Blueberries
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »
O.M.G.

Washed and dried fresh-picked blueberries, on a sheet pan w/ non-stick foil on the bottom, sprinkle with just a wee bit of sugar (not too much, you'll sweeten later), roast for 15-20 minutes at 425F until bursting and a bit juicy (it's easy to over-roast).  If you over-roast, then add a handful of fresh berries to your dish while letting this cool. The residual heat will soften those, but still keep texture.

It'll thicken on it's own :)

Taste...and sweeten as needed. You can't really tell how sweet the berries are until they roast. Sweeten more if needed, a splash or two of lemon juice, and just a tiny tiny dusting of cinnamon. You don't want to TASTE the cinnamon, but when you taste the berries, you want them to have that warm taste. The umami of the blueberry sauce :)

Put on oatmeal, ice cream, mascarpone mousse, or you know, eat straight from the pan.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Roasted Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:22:34 PM »
That sounds amazing!!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
That sounds amazing!!

doooo iiiiit. DOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIT!

Seriously - it's now been in the fridge for a few hours and is AAAAAAAAWESOOOOOOOME-R.
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:28:19 AM »
Like crustless pie.  Yum!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
Like crustless pie.  Yum!

...except...the berries don't steam like in a pie, they dry roast at a high heat. I was surprised at the difference in taste and then texture. NO THICKENER and it's totally a thick syrup. With the high heat I'm sure the sugars caramelize a little bit too.
40+ years dealing with:
New England