FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Shock as a symptom  (Read 3577 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

Shock as a symptom
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:40:12 PM »
As a symptom of anaphylaxis, shock itself can be life-threatening.  I'm not talking anaphylactic shock as a whole, but the symptoms of shock like you may see in other medical emergencies: lethargy, shivering, etc. due to lack of oxygen to body organs.  It's not listed on my action plan, but it should be - and will be added. 

I didn't realize this yesterday (because I was in shock, plus other symptoms), but the uncontrollable shivering I get during reactions makes total sense now.  And that was before epinephrine.  More shivering came after, as a result of the epinephrine - which doctors tell me is normal.

So the next time you or someone you know is experiencing shock as a potential allergy symptom, get them Epi and 911 immediately.  Not that I need to tell any of you that, but it' a good reminder.  I never really thought of shock as a food allergy symptom before, but combined with some milder symptoms, it went downhill fast
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Shock as a symptom
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
Oh space--wow. I'm glad you're okay. I'm sorry you went through that. :grouphug:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:57:54 AM »
Oh no Space - what happened?  I hope you're feeling better now.  :console:

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
This happened to my DD during her sesame reaction.  I thought she was cold from throwing up.

So glad you are OK.

I hope you can solve the mystery of what caused it.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »
Tried a new brand of something.  Label read fine.  Two bites in and I knew it wasn't good. Epi, hospital, etc. Just in the aftermath period and trying to cope with the physical, emotional, and mental toll it took.  Too frightened to sleep or eat much, but it will get better.  I get acute stress disorder with every reaction and have difficulties coping with it all.  So today and the rest of this week I plan on taking it easy... 
 :grouphug:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
 :grouphug:  I'm so glad that you are okay, SC.   Thank you so much for reminding people about shock as part and parcel of anaphylaxis, too.  DD gets this symptom every. single. stinking. time. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ninjaroll

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
My dad drilled in to me from a very young age that shock is the actual cause of death from most gun shot wounds.  Survive shock and you have a good chance of surviving being shot.  Then again he also taught me peeing on open gut wounds is a valid way to keep someone alive while waiting for rescue.

Where was I?  Oh yes, shock.  That specter never leaves my mind.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »
 :hiding:  The specter of the rest of that advice is going to haunt me.   :misspeak:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ninjaroll

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »
I know, I know.  That reservoir I try to keep a tighter lid on.  It seeps out sometimes.

19 Ways To Know You’re The Child Of A Police Officer
13. You’ve heard some pretty disturbing things at the dinner table.