FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Question for Canadian members  (Read 1236 times)

Description:

Offline lmw

Question for Canadian members
« on: September 11, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »
Sorry if this in the wrong place, but wanted the best chance at member knowledge.

Are any of the Canadian members aware of a store bought/commercial brand of white bread that does not contain/may contain sesame?

A family member whose kids have just started school has been told this is necessary. So far, the kids will not eat homemade bread....

I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any ideas. We live in Ottawa, Ontario.

I came to this group years ago, DD is pa/tna. She is now 28, managing fine. Her boyfriend is allergic to fish/shellfish. They have both given up foods they enjoy for the other. Even though she doesn't live at home anymore, I am still leery of bringing in food containing nuts.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Question for Canadian members
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
Is there a reason why 'may contain' is not allowed?  That seems a bit excessive.

My mother with sesame allergy has to get bread from a local bakery that makes special bread for her.  No commercial bread in our part of Alberta, at least, is safe.

I would ask the school to ask the parent requesting the restriction to provide suggestions, if this is an issue for others.  Then the teacher could send out a list of safe alternatives to others. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:42:05 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum