login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: OCR Questions? Let me hear them!  (Read 2913 times)

Description:

Offline ThreeforMe

OCR Questions? Let me hear them!
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
If you could ask the OCR anything abut 504's and food allergies/issues what would you ask?

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: OCR Questions? Let me hear them!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »
1.  Why are the regional OCR offices NOT on the same page -- more specifically -- handling LTFA like the regional office in DC is, where many of the better, pro-LTFA-rights "Findings" and "Letters of Resolution" are coming from?

2.  How on earth are school districts (thinking in particular of NJ nd/or NY) getting away with refusing trained adult epi-admin accommodations for the students' bus rides such that the students may not actually RIDE THE BUS to/from school ??!  Also along these lines, how can it POSSIBLY be an acceptable accommodation in these possible anaphylaxis instances to have the bus driver pull over and "just call 911" with zero epipen admin to the child?  Flies in the face of the doctor's epi orders and accommodations deemed medically necessary and appropriate by the allergist / physician as to "GIVE EPINEPHRINE IMMEDIATELY"!

3.  How can schools / districts refuse to even do 504 eval Accom Plan (or cancel/negate an existing plan) on condition of parents giving carte blanche to schools to have access to child's medical records?  Seems blatant harrassment based on med disability . . .what other conditions are they doing this for? 

I'm sure I wll think of more.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:15:53 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
504 Meeting specific (somewhat based on personal experiences)  -- if/when one of the school-representing-people around the table at 504 meeting says things like, "I hate it when I have to figure out peanut free foods for MY child to take to his school"  or "My child has food allergies and we don't ask for any accommodations because our children need to OWN their situation" -- do you (parents) have right to ask that person to remove him/herself from the decisions and "voting" role as to disabilityand or accommodations that wil be granted?  Shouldn't that person recuse him/herself due to bias?  What are the rights here of the child and parents?

Offline ThreeforMe

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:32:01 AM »
Great questions and ones I have received from other parents as well.  Seems we all want the same answers ;)

I will post a post meeting rundown!

Offline ThreeforMe

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
1) If schools are bussing kids, they are responsible to get kids with allergies to school. If they need to provide an aide, the school needs to do that. If they need to personally transport, they need to do it.

2)  People biased- You can ask for people to be removed though it may take procedural safeguards to do so.  She gave a "for instance" the janitor is there.  In MOST cases, there is no reason they need to be there.

3) The school CAN NOT demand access to your Dr.  If they want to, they may ask you to see the schools Dr. and if you don't allow that then it's back to procedural safeguards to move forward. 

(This may be paraphrasing- so please as always- NOT LEGAL advice, just information as I understood it).

HTH

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Thanks so much for these clarifications!  Most appreciated!