FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 revision meeting  (Read 4596 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

504 revision meeting
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:11:15 AM »
I ran into the Guidance counselor at DD's school this AM.  I know that she writes the 504 plan so I asked about adding in a clause that allows me to be at all the parties since our district has a 2 parent rule per party and her class had 6 volunteers to help.  She had to ask the principal who said he would talk to Administration and we have a meeting next Tuesday morning.  Any suggestions on how I should proceed if I get push back.  With 2 teen deaths this week and the 7 yo who died from a reaction last Halloween, I am done being nice.  DD is nervous about her allergies.  I know all the food will be safe bc I will check everything but I still feel like I NEED to be there.  Honestly, and the nurse who is totally with me know this, I don't really want to be there.  I love my kid but after so many years of room parenting I would LOVE a break.  Its a safety issue.  Any suggestions?

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: 504 revision meeting
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Besides making the case for the "allow me as additonal adult at parties, always" new accommodation, is it time to attempt to discuss again FOOD FREE celebrations?  At the very least, reduce the number where there will be food (say from 6 per year to 2)?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline MaryM

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »
My allergist asked me to draft a letter that she will edit regarding the accommodation.  Anyone want to help me?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »
I do not have a 504, so, do not know the specific language or citations best for that, specific to FAs. 

However, can you tell us here, specifically what you want this letter to say or to request, on your behalf?  I have background in knowing your situation.  Not sure if everyone here does.  Are you only needing a letter to justify that you should be at all of your dd's parties, or are there other accommodations needed at this time?  You might as well think that through, so you can cover it all at the review and updating to your 504.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
The only other accommodation I would want would be to be permitted ob field trips, I guess.

I want the letter to say that due to the unpredictable nature of food allergies and the presence of food (not provided by me) in the classroom at parties I should be permitted to attend for DD's safety.  I have to get to work.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »
I'd be happy to help too.  Post the body of the proposed letter here and those of us who can will make suggestions / corrections here, OR you can do a PM / private message to some of us (list each by username in the "to" area, much like email) and we'll help.

You already pretty much know what you want to ask . . .but the suggestion by becca is good one as to including all the needs in ONE LETTER and getting allergist to sign is best plan, in my opinion.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
Thanks ajas!  Its just about done.  When I sat down I actually wrote a pretty good letter. I really did not think I was going to be able to.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »
The school has received the letter from our allergist (last Tuesday) and I still have not heard about rescheduling the meeting.  I am annoyed. The nurse told me that 504 coordinator does not want to put it in DD's 504.  Why on earth not?  Lets get a meeting going so I can escalate if need be.  Halloween is a few short weeks away. I will pull DD from the party and do something fun instead. 

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
I would consider a letter to the school with request for immediate ASAP 504 Plan re-work with eye to addition of new accommodations based on newly received letter from allergist (and include date on which they received the letter).

I'd attach a copy of the allergist's letter, even though you "know" they've received it . . .

504C is not "queen/king" of the 504 planet.  There is to be a TEAM meeting and a TEAM decision.  Hold them to it.

Document the heck out of this one.

Offline MaryM

!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:01:18 AM »
I emailed the school nurse this morning and she just wrote back that DD's 504 is being revised with the accommodation that I attend all parties!  I am so relieved.

Edited to add that I am in possession of a signed 504 plan stating that DH or I can attend parties!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:01:20 PM by MaryM »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:36:07 AM »
 :grouphug:   :yes:  Super great Mary!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »
 :)  I am so happy!  Apparently it went pretty high up in the district....

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
The only other accommodation I would want would be to be permitted ob field trips, I guess.

I want the letter to say that due to the unpredictable nature of food allergies and the presence of food (not provided by me) in the classroom at parties I should be permitted to attend for DD's safety.  I have to get to work.
'

Both are reasonable, common 504 accommodations for kids with food allergies.  I recommend you look at sample 504 plans here, at Write's Law (sp?) and at Kids with Food allergies.  I think the national school board association has sample 504 plans or suggested accommodations for food allergy 504 plans.  I would print these out to prove these are common accommodations. 

I might print out stories of reactions that happened at school events. There is the tragic fatality of a student in Chicago when her class had Chinese food and there is that reaction where the boy got served a nut containing granola bar even after his mother checked all the food and was on life support for days but survived.  Both show how easily mistakes can happen. 

http://www.protectallergickids.org/Max-s-Story.html

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
http://www.allergymoms.com/classroom.pdf

Another very touching version of the story. 

This is the stuff that makes me not care about inclusion.  I do not trust others to not mess up and accidentally feed my child allergens if I can't be there.  second safest is to to have a safe treat box.  Safest to have no food at parties at all.  If I can't be there I send all his food.  This mother did all the right things and checked labels, etc.