login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: school and board policy - relates to diabetes, not FA - sorry  (Read 2230 times)

Description:

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

"We do not give WiFi access to students - Board of Ed policy."  My son's phone gets no service within the walls of the school so his Dexcom (Continuous Glucose Monitor) doesn't communicate with me (we do Share - all have Iphones and it's what works for us).  This device keeps track of his blood sugar, relays it via bluetooth to his phone and then his phone IF he has data or WiFi will send his levels to me.  The phones can't seem to get data within the walls (once he walks out at the end of the day I have data, while he's in the building NOTHING).
Anyway to force their hand and give him WiFi ?- I told them this is NOT a commentary on the school nurse - we think she's great - it's an extra safety net to catch unexpected highs and lows and to ward off life-threatening events. (they suggested he can visit the nurse and do finger sticks at given times of the day and they can report them to me - uh, no, he's not missing any more school than he already does because of this stupid disease!)
Still a no go....
Thanks for any and all advice....sorry it's not FA related - the diabetes board I belong to doesn't have enough traffic so I thought I'd hit up SOAK  :smooch:
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: school and board policy - relates to diabetes, not FA - sorry
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »
He has a 504 for diabetes?

I would write a LOU about this. It will plainly state the situation and your concern. I would then deviate from the LOU and in writing formally request that this accommodation be given to him.

Maybe with your job your DH needs to "send" it?  Or it may be even better coming from you. Have a mod delete that if you need to, btw.

So in elem and MS the sped dir laid to rest concerns that DS would take advantage of his having accommodations and flaunt them in front of peers.

Maybe that is a concern of the school. Maybe you need to say how and when he will and WON'T use it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: school and board policy - relates to diabetes, not FA - sorry
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 02:50:49 PM »
I'm seconding what Mac suggested.  504 or IEP should have "access to Wi-Fi for health monitoring"as a line accommodation.

Uh, if this were a HEART MONITOR that needed to have details sent regularly via cell and thus needing WiFi, would they disallow that too? 

I'd challenge them on this.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!