imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction To Dairy Queen Last May  (Read 2718 times)

Description:

Offline gracefullyanna

Reaction To Dairy Queen Last May
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
 This last May I had just come home from school and was craving some ice cream. Luckily for me we had just purchased these $1.00 Dairy Queen ice cream cupcakes, (little did I know, these cupcakes are made from Dairy Queen's mistakes). So I grabbed one, headed upstairs and instantly started eating it once I was in my bedroom. These cupcakes have thick layers of whipped cream before you reach the ice cream itself so it took me a minute or two to reach the ice cream. This was supposed to be "Chocolate Covered Pretzel" so when I bit down on something very hard and crunchy I wasn't too alarmed until I my mouth began to itch terribly and my stomach started to tighten up. Immediately, I called my mom since she had been out shopping and she came home right away. My whole life I had believed I was allergic to nuts since I've had episodes like this, however I've never had an external reaction so no one, not even my own Doctor believed I was allergic. Instead everyone insisted it was just a mild "sensitivity". Because of this, when my mom came home she made me go to dance no matter how nauseous and itchy I was. Within my first ten minutes of being there I threw up. After that, my mom drove me home and I unfortunately threw up some more. You'd think my mom would of taken me the emergency room by now but she certainly did not. Instead, she kept trying to convince me that it was only because I had the flu. It wasn't until my throat started to swell up and my face came a canvas of hives that my mom finally drove me to the emergency room. Luckily when I was there I was given a steroid, Pepcid, and numerous antihistamines. Plus, when I went to the allergist two weeks later I was diagnosed with a severe allergy to all tree nuts.   

This is a bit of a sidetone, but because of the reaction I developed autonomic dysfunction. Isn't that just awesome?! :happydance:

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Reaction To Dairy Queen Last May
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »
Welcome!

I'm glad you finally got the help you needed and a confirmed diagnosis!  The reaction you had was very serious.  Hopefully your mom takes your allergy seriously now, too! 

I'm attaching a "Cliff Notes" version of dealing with peanut and nut allergies that I typed up for a friend whose teen aged daughter suddenly developed a peanut allergy while we were out of town together.  It was written with her specific circumstance in mind and only intended to get her through until she could see an allergist, but hopefully it will be something that you can use, too, as you learn to live with a severe nut allergy.

Did the allergist prescribe an epipen and explain to you when to use it?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline gracefullyanna

Re: Reaction To Dairy Queen Last May
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
Thank you so much! The doctor prescribed me and EpiPen as well as an Auvi Q.  Hopefully managing this will feel less stressful as time moves on!