FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: AUVI-Q Recall!  (Read 11594 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Re: AUVI-Q Recall!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2015, 03:22:00 AM »
Back in the late 90's there was a massive Epipen recall as well, with all of our pens being in the recalled group.  We turned ours in and were supposed to get new ones immediately, which turned into "tomorrow", which ended up being weeks - because there was a shortage.  I clung to my recently expired, not recalled pen like it was gold.  No eating out, DS ate nothing that wasn't prepared by me (which was doable because he was only 3 or 4 at the time).

I think Mylan (why do unthinking was Dey back then?) probably had deeper pockets than Sanofi and was able to bounce back more easily.  I hope they can fix this problem and start producing again. They are so much easier for boys and men to carry.

Seriously?? I had no idea! My daughter started getting epis around 1997. Was it before that? We didn't have internet until 2000.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2015, 07:20:01 AM »
It had to be between 1997-1999 because we had recently moved here, and DS was still in Pre-K.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
That's why I did not remember this....DD was born in 1999.  I knew nothing about food allergies in 1998.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 03:47:42 PM »
I know this may sound presumptuous, but I think it would be wonderful if Sean Park, the billionaire, who pledged $24 million towards food allergy research, could invest in Sanofi to help them resolve the issues with the auvi-q and get it back to market sooner rather than later.

Here's the thread about Mr. Park:

Billionaire Sean Park pledges $24 million towards a cure for food allergies

The auvi-q (if it works properly) is so helpful to teens and adults (particularly males) who carry their own meds on the go since it's much smaller than the epi.

I followed the video that Bensmom posted and fired our auvis into a paper towel. Medication dispensed. I couldn't tell anything about dosage though.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
On Friday, our local school district sent an email out to every parent regarding the Allerject recall - not just the ones with known allergies, but ALL students.  A parent forwarded me the school email, which had the important recall and replacement information. 

Good to see the recall details are making their way out to as many people as possible. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Jessica

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »
It was 1998

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB895440623631960000
Wow, I guess we got lucky. We had epi pens but were never notified of any recall. I'd remember that.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
Oh, shoot, you guys, I didn't realize that Auvi-Qs are completely unavailable, that it wasn't just a bad batch they were replacing. I got the impression from the pharmacy that a replacement Auvi-Q was coming for us. They have Epipens for us.  :disappointed:

Kiddo is NOT going to be happy. She has had the easiest time carrying an AuviQ in her pocket. Switching to the Epi, she already left it at school once when she went on a pep band trip because at the last minute she decided there wasn't room to bring her laptop bag along, where she's been stashing it. So we had to decide about her eating when she had nothing.

Epis are a major pain, honestly. Gosh, I hope AuviQs come back.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »
Mezzo, I feel your pain...ds is complaining (as only a teen can) about how awkward they are to carry.....I am back to carrying anytime we are together ~)
I hope they come back onto the market....
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »
Epis in speech suit pockets.

Won't happen.

Ugh.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
I talked to the drug rep for epi's the other day. He wanted to make sure our stock was ok. When I told him ds was one in the recall he made sure he had gotten epi's. I didn't tell him how unhappy he was to get them.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »
Forgot to update this: I got my new EpiPens two weeks ago when our pharmacy got their big shipment.  I was able to get EpiPens with a 17-month expiry: March 2017.  Wow! 

Though I have a feeling there will be another huge demand for EpiPens needed in March 2017 to replace all of theses, if Allerject/Auvi-Q hasn't been re-released yet.  Did everyone get the same expiry date on their replacements?

I'm slowly getting used to carrying the big EpiPens again.  My back and stomach hate it: my back gets sore when sitting because I wear them in the back and it's often too inconvenient to move them to the front; and my tummy gets chafing/eczema from the belt and clip on the SPIbelt when it is worn tight under a shirt (for running, going out of the house, etc.).  Meh, I just have to toughen up.  I did this before, for many years; I can do it again.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Jessica

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »
I got them in late October and they expire next October. I was afraid they might become scarce with the recall so I just took what they had.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
And now this - new company to evaluate possibility of returning Auvi to market.

http://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=11352627
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
Yea!