FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergy Care Turf Battle  (Read 1807 times)

Description: 2014 lawsuit

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Allergy Care Turf Battle
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
http://www.medpagetoday.com/AllergyImmunology/Allergy/43838

I had not read about this, to my recollection.  (If we already have a thread on this, please combine, oh-Mod-for-this-board-area.)

Read the comments there too.

Not sure where this lawsuit has gone, or if much else public.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: Allergy Care Turf Battle
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:10:56 AM »
Wanted to add some anecdotal experience PCP vs board certified allergist:

When we first moved to No Virginia, we were dealing with Tricare Prime and a gatekeeper at a militaryish med contractor.  The PCP couldn't understand why we wanted a referral to a board certified allergist -- let alone to a pediatric allergist -- and she was incredulous that our son wore a MedicAlert bracelet.

We sprinted away from that facility at record speed and dropped into Tricare Standard where we had ability to choose our medical care providers and didn't have to go through gatekeeper so much.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »
I would like to comment that if primary care doctors want to treat allergies they should do a better job as a whole to learn about them.  There should not be people dying because they don't have epi pens or other auto injectors or because their doctors told them to use an antihistamine instead of epinepherine as a first line treatment of ana.  There shouldn't be people saying, 'no one ever told me this could happen' after a relative dies or nearly dies.  There shouldn't be doctors telling patients old, outdated, and incorrect things such as that they can't get allergy tested until 1 or 2, to avoid things that cause swelling and hives and then try again at home on their own at age 1, etc, etc.  If they could do as well as allergists then certainly they should be a source of treatment but as a whole they are not doing well enough yet.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
^ TRUTH.

As long as that is true, I feel so sad that there is still so far to go.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »
^^

Seriously, while there are exceptions, there is no doubt that board certified allergists are more qualified.  Why is nobody asking us?  ;)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
The comments express the exact opposite of how I feel. They accuse allergists of being out for $.  I accuse them (those supporting having general doctors care for food allergies instead of allergists) of not understanding the lives they would put at risk if they got their way.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 04:16:11 AM »
Amen, lakeswimr.