FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut allergy and certain bodily fluids  (Read 4313 times)

Description:

Heart of Texas

Peanut allergy and certain bodily fluids
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »
I know this question is a little weird, but I really need to know.  I googled it and could not find an answer.  I am allergic to peanuts and my boyfriend gave up peanuts when we first started dating.  Now Thanksgiving is coming and we will be apart for a week.  He loved peanuts and used to eat them all the time.  Does anyone know how long peanut protein is excreted in semen?  If he wants to eat peanuts while we are apart, I really don`t mind, as long as he stops in time for me to be sure that there is no peanut protein in his semen when he gets back in town.  I read that it is excreted in semen longer than it is excreted in saliva.  Does anyone know the answer?  Also, if we use a condom, which we are already doing, then does that mean I would not react if there were actually peanut protein in his semen?  Thanks!

Offline spacecanada

Re: Peanut allergy and certain bodily fluids
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
Three days seems to be the safe number in our house.  Two wasn't long enough after an accidental ingestion on my husband's part.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
It's not a weird question!  I'm pretty sure we've discussed it before.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
Actually, we have a thread with some links to studies on this topic. Could be in Adults, Main or Teens. I don't know if I will have time to find it tonight, but CMdeux has posted a lot in that thread. She may be able to remember.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »
It's in Teens.  I'm a little rushed for time, but yeah-- basically, 3days is about the outer window for most people.

When do you bring up food allergies?

Honestly-- condom usage for an extra day or two probably makes sense there.  Seems to be the easiest and most equitable thing.  :)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:02:29 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Heart of Texas

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
Thanks, Everyone.  This is very helpful.