login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: The Neat Egg  (Read 1981 times)

Description: vegan egg replacer

Offline krasota

The Neat Egg
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:45:23 PM »
So I picked up The Neat Egg to try in my favorite pumpkin cheesecake bar recipe.

It's made from ground chia and garbanzo flour.

Verdict:  texture is spot on in the final baked good.  I sub the tiny amount of flour in this recipe with sorghum flour (ultrafine) and used the equivalent of one egg from the Neat Egg package.  Way better than EnerG, which leaves these bars tasty, but un-set.  They ooze when EnerG, but hold their form with Neat.

But . . .

I can taste the chickpea.  Metallic and beany.  The manbeast says I should point out that I can taste things no mortal can.  The kids love the bars, so I suppose it's a success.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: The Neat Egg
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
Good to know, Krasota. I've used fine-ground flax seed (like chia, I'm guessing) for a lot of years in baked goods-- it's just that it tends to show up as little flecks in pale cheese-cakey things.  But it does work a treat as an egg replacer.  I really don't like EnerG much.

I mean, also good that you posted this, because I have that same weirdly superhuman ability to taste garbanzo flour, too.     :hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

Re: The Neat Egg
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »
I really dislike the flavor of flax.  I can always taste it.  Rancid sweatsocks/gym locker.   :tongue: 

The nice thing about chia is that you don't need to use warm/hot water or let it sit much at all.   You can just dump and go.  I wonder how well finely ground chia would work for this purpose. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.