FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: West Jet  (Read 3100 times)

Description:

Offline candyguru

West Jet
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »

We flew West Jet from Toronto ON to Orlando FL this month...  it is great.  They do a "peanut allergy" announcement as they have the allergy information in their files.  The snacks they serve are pretzels with the "CAC certified peanut-free" logo on the packaging.

The planes were nice, modern Boeing 737-700 and 737-800 planes with good legroom (I hear Air Canada Rouge has no leg room at all) and the flight staff are all super friendly, helpful and fun.

I highly recommend West Jet.  We will fly with them again next time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline GoingNuts

Re: West Jet
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:35:05 AM »
Glad you and your family had such a good experience! 

It's always great to hear about airlines that offer our community positive customer service.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:06 PM »
Glad you and your family had such a good experience! 

It's always great to hear about airlines that offer our community positive customer service.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Going Nuts!

Yes... we didn't even have to ask for the peanut announcement.  While waiting for boarding, we were called up to the gate and they asked if we wanted them to make an announcement.  We said yes, and on the plane, they announced due to peanut allergic individuals being on board, please refrain from eating any nut products.  And the snacks are nut-free.

So if you need to fly to/from Canada I recommend West Jet.

And we loved our vacation in Orlando... visited Disney World and Legoland and stayed at Legoland Hotel and Marriott Harbour Lake.. will post more details soon :)
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:04:59 AM »
^^And a photo or two, I hope.  It's been too long since we've seen those cutie pies.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline candyguru

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »

yes, soon.. though I still haven't downloaded my photos from my camera haha  They are 8 and 5 years old now.. can you believe it?!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »
Wanted to mention, I know of three people (different flights) who paid extra to fly direct wherever they were headed, and then WestJet switched them to a flight with a lay-over somewhere in between. I can't help thinking how much it would mess up a trip if this unexpectedly happened to someone with food allergies.

Also, I checked their Facebook page and there are a LOT of complaints about return flights being cancelled last minute. People are saying they were stranded for up to two days.

~~~~

I don't know how often these things happen with other airlines. Just wanting to warn people here in case it's not " the new normal".

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:00:44 PM »
We fly WestJet several times per year and never had issues with them.  They have switched our flights twice.  Once was about a week ahead of the flight due to scheduling changes, but I called to tell them it was unacceptable (overnight layover, flight arrived too late) and they found a different route for us, no additional charge, and it was better than the original flights we had.  People need to realize they can call and mention these things - it even says so on their flight change notification email.  The person I talked to had three or four different options for me to choose from, and their system automatically selects one, but if you talk to a person you'll likely have other options.

They have stopped carrying EpiPens onboard as of October 2015, though the syringes and phials of epinephrine are still stocked in their first aid kit.  I don't know the reason why - I suspect lack of use and expense to track and replace.  Their allergy policies haven't changed otherwise.

We did have one flight that was delayed coming home because of mechanical failure on the original plane, forcing them to prepare another plane for us, delaying the flight about two hours.  They gave us each a $50 credit without even asking for it.  (I actually had to call and ask why I had an email with a $50 credit for troubles with a recent flight because I didn't think that was that troublesome and never complained.  It was an automatic thing they do for certain delays.  We eventually got to fly on the Mickey Mouse plane... so I was happy.)

I'm really hoping they haven't let their service slide in the past few months.  But Christmas season can be a troublesome time to fly with any airline because it's so busy everywhere. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »
I'm glad they were able to fix your switched flight.  The two people I know who tried calling were not able to get other direct flights.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:16:22 PM by SilverLining »