FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Krispy Kreme? Anything recent?  (Read 4093 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Krispy Kreme? Anything recent?
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
Just curious.  Wasn't ever an option since DD was too egg allergic to make it something even out there on the horizon until now.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

Re: Krispy Kreme? Anything recent?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 02:40:29 PM »
I'm on a board on FB and people have been saying the response they're getting is that they can't guarantee no x-contam in their raw ingredients. And they mention they've heard of reactions but I haven't seen any first-person stories go by.  ??? For educated-risk, possibly outgrown me, I'm fine with it because donuts:cocktail: :watch: :hiding: For your DD though...is she still super sensitive to air/trace/crumbs on the floor?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
Yeah, well-- I probably wouldn't, but then again, college students and risk... oy.

DD texted me something about them late last night, so I think she's looking for donut options, and there are not very many of those for PN/TNA.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »
Hostess recently went totally PN/TN free. I know they aren't the same but there's always those donuts if push comes to shove.

Offline bookedup

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »
starlight,

Can you please let us know where you heard that Hostess is now PN and TN free.  I searched their website and couldn't find anything. This will make my son very happy.

Thanks.
DS (15) - Allergic to PN, TN, Lentils and Peas.  Outgrew Strawberries, Bananas, Chickpeas, String beans, Shrimp, Crab and Lobster.

Offline starlight

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
I heard it through the board I'm on on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/anaphylaxisawareness/). People have called and emailed. I haven't personally. There's a search bar under the group header picture if you want to search for the info. YMMV on the group, it's very active and there are some good people and valid info there, but it's extremely pro-OIT and occasionally they get things wrong. I trust here more for science-based evaluation, but they tend to have more ready info on manufacturers because a lot of them call frequently and post responses.

Offline bookedup

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
Thank you starlight, I will look into it!
DS (15) - Allergic to PN, TN, Lentils and Peas.  Outgrew Strawberries, Bananas, Chickpeas, String beans, Shrimp, Crab and Lobster.

Offline nameless

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »
A local VT bakery (Koffee Kup) makes donuts sold in grocery stores. Their glazed are good --- like Dunkin Donuts glazed but honestly a bit better. Local to New England/VT/NY area in grocery stores. They are pn/tn free (but don't label for it "Because US Laws and people are just too damn litigious"  (hahaha, gotta love Vermonters!)

(((of which I am one)))

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Jessica

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
I called Hostess in December, I believe and she confirmed all facilities have no pn or tn. They are still making muffins with nuts but in a completely different facility and it appears to be made by a different company for hostess.

Krispy Kreme seems to have the same policy as any other restaurant. I've never asked about the flour in the breading or buns or the brand of cheese they use on burgers.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline starlight

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
Jessica, did Hostess mention to you if/when they're going to update their labeling? The non-banana nut muffins by me still have the 'may contain walnuts' on it, and I knew they were going nut free but I don't know if the ones I'm finding are old food or old boxes or they what they said to you meant ALL muffins made in a separate nut facility.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:47:21 AM »
they just said to wait until after the first of the year to make sure old stock was off the shelves. So far we've still avoided plant 23000 though, just out of paranoia.

I've read about others seeing walnut warnings on non nut muffins. Not sure what is up with that. Does it have a plant code on it? Oh I did read where one person was told they were using up old packaging. I would call to be sure.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline starlight

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »
Thanks. I'll look for plant codes next time to see. Here's hoping it's just old boxes. My taste buds want me to call but my waistline is all 'girl, let it go'.

Offline bleh

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
Well hell...

http://snacksafely.com/2016/12/krispy-kreme-to-test-new-product-containing-tree-nuts-across-us/
Krispy Kreme continues to innovate and introduce new offerings for our customers. As part of that process, we are testing a new product containing nuts across the US at select locations.

While we have never been represented as ‘nut-free’ because some of our ingredients have always come from third-party manufacturers with nuts in their facilities, we wanted to make sure you were aware. If you visit, you will notice signage about allergens in and around our stores to make sure people with food allergies and sensitives are informed. Customer safety is Krispy Kreme’s top priority.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
Maybe we could go all Wendy's on them.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline bleh

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 06:26:26 AM »
Called my local Krispy Kreme the other day and they are already serving donuts with nuts. Didn't bother asking what kind.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)