FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Toddler may be gluten sensitive  (Read 5086 times)

Description:

Louise

Toddler may be gluten sensitive
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
Hi
Just had my toddler referred to a pediatrician
 as presumed he was allergic to wheat, as back in December he touched a bagel and flour and cane out in hives for a brief moment. He also had continual sickness and loose nappies.

We took wheat and gluten out of his diet and noticed a difference in his nappies and sickness level dropped.

We had him tested for coeliac and skin test and cane back negative.

However this weekend we went out for a meal had normal pasta and back to sickness and loose nappies. And again today had normal bread, before bed he was violently sick.

We have read that you can be sensitive to gluten where foods have high levels especially in pasta and bagels etc.

Could this be? I hoping up get back in touch with the consultant even though discharged as can't have him being sick again. And nursery send him home when more than 2 loose nappies

Am I right to persevere with this?

Thanks in a dance

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Toddler may be gluten sensitive
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
Hi Louise,

I'm so sorry your toddler is having problems!  From what you describe, it does sound like the culprit could be wheat allergy or gluten intolerance/Celiac.  Which tests did you have run?  Skin prick test for wheat allergy and blood test for Celiac?  The most conclusive test for Celiac would be an intestinal biopsy, but if your child has been off of gluten, the damage may heal to the point that the test is falsely negative.  For wheat allergy, I would skin test and blood test to try and get an "on paper" diagnosis, but neither test is definitive and reaction history always trumps testing.

I'm hoping members with Celiac, wheat allergy and, since it sounds like you may be in the UK, UK members will join in the conversation and be able to give you better suggestions and resources than I am able to.

Welcome!  :bye: 
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
Re: Toddler may be gluten sensitive
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »
When you say tasted, how was he tested?  Endoscopy?