FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: An Accomodation I Never Considered  (Read 2748 times)

Description: Lockdown/Evacuation Plan

Offline PurpleCat

An Accomodation I Never Considered
« on: March 22, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
I never even thought to add this topic to my child's school accommodation plan.   Someone here just asked me about this.   ;)

DD is 16 now and she took her purse containing her phone and meds (asthma inhaler, epi pens, and benedryl) with her when the school was evacuated to another facility by school bus today due to a threat.

What if she wasn't 16 carrying her own meds?

What do our kids need to be allergy and asthma safe during a lock down or during an evacuation?

Just putting this thought out for others to consider for their own plans.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: An Accomodation I Never Considered
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »
DS keeps shelf stable food in his locker in case of a lockdown (though I don't think he has it this year--and he has been eating cafeteria food for the last three years). But it's in his 504 and has been since middle school. When we got to this high school, they thought we were crazy for including it.

Also in his 504 is that he self carries, so his Epis are expected to be on him at all times. We have discussed scenarios of his being in gym and having to evacuate and getting Epis. I don't know if that made it into his plan, but it is there that he has access to his Epis at all times.

In middle school, we walked through this scenario with the school nurse. It haven't really in high school--mostly because they thought it so unlikely.

Unfortunately it's not all that unlikely. :-/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Vattelino

• New
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:31:45 AM »
I am confused on what happened. And this time I want to learn it more.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
Hi!

My DD is now 16, has been self carrying her meds for many years and is very independent with regard to her allergies.

What happened on this particular day was a "credible bomb threat" at her school.  The whole school population was bused to another school in our district.

It had me thinking about how I never thought of evacuations when preparing her accommodations in the past when she was not independent.  If she did not self carry, she would not have her epi pens or inhaler with her.  On a school bus, headed to another building.  Another member here had a similar situation and those students were fed at the other school.

I put it here for other parents to consider when creating school accommodations for their child.  How is your child protected in the event of an evacuation?  Does the school nurse, teacher, student have the responsibility for the child's allergy safety?