login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Easter 2016  (Read 4165 times)

Description: What's for dinner?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Easter 2016
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
I am looking for inspiration.  Kids don't eat ham, and we just had salty corned beef last week, and some leftovers.  Dh and I love a leg of lamb, but the kids did not like that, either.  Too fatty.  Maybe I should get the boneless leg of lamb, and trim it and cut it into kabobs.  If it is lean, and marinated, they will like that. 

Any suggestions, or what are you having, if you celebrate Easter?  I do not feel like slaving in the kitchen all day long, but am ok with one fancy dish, like a good potato casserole.  I do have half of the bag of red potatoes left from the corned beef dinner I made on Sunday.  It is such a challenge to make a special meal for dh and myself, that the kids will also eat. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Easter 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
We don't have strong attachments to Easter foods so one year we had pulled pork. This year we are going traditional, but we still don't know how many are coming.  We could be 7 or we could be 11.  Would be nice if my sister could nail this down soon.

Menu:
Smoked ham with a glaze
Hasselback sweet potatoes and probably a regular one for DS
Kale Salad
Marinated Asparagus
Pineapple stuffing (BIL needs this, not sure anyone else will eat it)

My sister will probably bring some appetizers...usually just guac and veggies, but again will depend on if it's just us and them or her extended family.

Dessert-
I'm thinking we will do a bunny cake, but will cover it with mini marshmallows instead of coconut
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easter-bunny-cake/b8af0f55-67d5-4fb0-aaec-ab11ff5df7e3

thought about doing bird nest cookies with the mini cadbury eggs on top

also thought about this one
http://www.food.com/recipe/five-star-white-chocolate-fruit-tart-53996?photo=372898

But we certainly don't need 3 desserts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »
I need inspiration this year too.  I am not making ham this year (usually lite breakfast, ham luncheon, pea soup from the ham bone for dinner) because on Saturday we are going to DH's sister's house and she is making ham.  So I need a new menu.

I am thinking brunch, snack, and light dinner like a veggie soup.

So brunch would be our big meal.  I'm am thinking some kind of potato casserole, maybe even scalloped potatoes with bacon and chives...don't have a recipe as I am dairy free but I will look for one, I don't have to eat it.  Past that I have no ideas.  DD is allergic to eggs.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
Funny, PC, it crossed my mind to do brunch, too.  The kids would enjoy crepes and fruit, and I could do a casserole like you mentioned for dh and I.  It's only the 4 of us. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »
So Hezz, tell me about this pineapple stuffing.  Just curious.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
My sister read me the recipe...it's her MIL's.  Very similar to this...amounts were more because it called for 8 pieces of bread.
http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-stuffing-23732

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
Yowza, looks sweet!
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Yup, I can see why it's served with ham.  We did not grow up eating this so it does nothing for me...just a waste of calories...I'd rather eat dessert.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 06:41:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm with you Hezz. 
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
Becca, google pancake muffins!  I might try making a bunch of these with different mix-ins....something I can make ahead.

and I just found this recipe for a potato casserole without eggs.  I am going to doctor it and now I can hit the grocery store!  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20096/cheesy-ham-and-hash-brown-casserole/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringId=152&referringContentType=recipe%20hub
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:23:01 AM by PurpleCat »

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
We decided on lamb kabobs.  I bought a cryovac packed boneless leg last night, and will trim and make it into kabobs, freezing the excess for another time. 

I will do something with potatoes, and I have a huge bag of green beans, and one of brussell sprouts in the fridge already. 

I don't usually do a fancy dessert, since the kids get loads of candy in the baskets.  But, maybe strawberry shortcake and some vanilla ice cream.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
The potatoes look yummy, PC.  I was going to suggest sour cream for the moisture, if not using any eggs. 

I think I will roast mine, since the kids will definitely eat those.  Maybe throw in some sweet potato and an onion as well, and I will pick that out for me.  ;)

Hezz, that stuffing looks sickeningly sweet.  It holds no appeal to me.  You could cut that sugar down to 1/4 cup and I bet it would still be very sweet! 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »
Hmmm, a friend just posted this on FB:

http://12tomatoes.com/rc-lemon-icebox-cake/

It looks easy and yummy.  I like the cool whip/pudding/cream cheese type pies.  Not sure about the kids on this though, and then, I would have to eat it all, because hubby has such willpower. 

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
Bunny cake is going to be made and chocolate covered strawberries.  I wanted the nest cookies for the mini cadbury egg so I will just get a package so I can sprinkle in the coconut grass around the bunny.

That lemon ice box cake looks nice...good spring/summer dessert.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »
We are creatures of habit here...  Ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potato, corn (for DH and kids) & creamed spinach.
I am making a cheesecake for the adults.  I cannot tell you the last time I had eggs in my house.  DD was taken aback when she saw them.  Kids will have homemade cupcakes and dairy free ice cream.

I need to buy some wine and beer (for FIL) but otherwise I have everything I need.