FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chipotle in Adobo  (Read 3260 times)

Description: safe brands?

Offline spacecanada

Chipotle in Adobo
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
Since Chipotle (the restaurant) doesn't exist on this island and my husband has eaten it multiple times on his business trip, I'm now craving some Sofritas burritos!  Alas, the recipe calls for 'chipotle in adobo'. 

Anyone know of a brand in Canada that is safe for PN/TN/sesame/dairy (and potato)?  I can call and check the potato traces.

If a safe brand exists in America, I can have my parents bring some up to me next week.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Chipotle in Adobo
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »
You can easily make your own, but we use Penzey's chipotle and adobo. Frankly, the two share a lot of ingredients as spices.

You could just add smoked, dried Jalapeno to your adobo mix, horns decor otherwise

If a Jalapeno is too hot for you, you could always use a poblano instead. The smoked, blackened Verizon of it is called an ancho.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
Keep in mind there is a severe lack of pepper options in my little community.  Mexican foods and spices are often limited to Old El Paso brand which just makes me shudder at those ingredient lists full of chemicals.

I will look for Penzey's brand today.  If you have a good recipe, feel free to link it here, as I don't know enough about Mexican cooking to pre-screen a recipe as good/authentic or not.  (Though I wonder if I could ask my neighbour, she's from Mexico...)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »
Oh my typos. Wow. Maybe tonight I can decipher. :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:48:02 PM »
"chipotle in adobo" is usually a canned product:

http://ourbestbites.com/2011/04/how-to-work-with-canned-chipotle-peppers-in-adobo-sauce/

I use that brand in the blog post, your mileage may vary

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
I haven't been able to find ANY brand here...   ???  I may have to wait until my parents go to Arizona again in October.

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
I haven't been able to find ANY brand here...   ???  I may have to wait until my parents go to Arizona again in October.

...or the US, doesn't have to be Arizona. Regular old full size grocery stores will have it where the taco stuff is :)  Usually where the diced green chile peppers in a can are.

Cooking with "chipotle peppers in adobo" is different than using rehydrated chipotle --- mainly the spices and having the liquid/gravy/goodness (the adobo sauce) from the can. Just have to adjust.

I'm not sure which Chipotle copycat recipe you found, but here is one with some alternates. She seems to have put a lot of thought into it . I do like the adobo sauce that comes in those cans as a short-cut to the flavors, but it's not needed.

http://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-chicken/

I'm guessing at least that  you are looking for the marinade.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
If you can find (or order) the dried chiles, this recipe looks like it would work: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/09/13/make-your-own-chipotle-peppers-in-adobo-sauce-fridays-recipe-of-the-week/

(I'd use tomato paste and not ketchup)
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »
I found some tinned chipotle in adobo yesterday.  I have to wait until Monday to call them and ask about allergens, as I saw they make a Mole sauce too, albeit in a bottle not a tin.  Fingers crossed.