FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cash Price of Epipen ... INSANITY!!!!!  (Read 35690 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

Re: Cash Price of Epipen ... INSANITY!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »
I don't like where this whole 'preventative drug' thing is headed.  That's just UGLY.

Could there ever be some sort of fallout from this making EpiPens themselves being pulled from the market in America (if, say, Mylan's rights to produce it are revoked)?  Or tarnishing the brand for us in other countries that have no other option?  EpiPen here is made by another company, yes, but could this ugly investigation somehow affect the EpiPen brand elsewhere?  (Because it kind of makes me nervous.  There are no generics or alternatives here.  At all.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Puddles

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2016, 07:19:05 AM »
I don't like where this whole 'preventative drug' thing is headed.  That's just UGLY.

Could there ever be some sort of fallout from this making EpiPens themselves being pulled from the market in America (if, say, Mylan's rights to produce it are revoked)?  Or tarnishing the brand for us in other countries that have no other option?  EpiPen here is made by another company, yes, but could this ugly investigation somehow affect the EpiPen brand elsewhere?  (Because it kind of makes me nervous.  There are no generics or alternatives here.  At all.)

Sold by another company, but I think they are made in US by Mylan. (Bresch tried to throw us under the bus saying American's were subsidizing epi's for the rest of the world.)

I am curious though, anyone who is a part of other on-line forums, especially any funded by Mylan, has cost of epi-pen been a topic there? Only since the topic is trending, or long before, like here?

Offline BensMom

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
Listening to a bit more of the testimony. She was either just woefully unprepared or just didn't want to answer simple questions, such as how much did Mylan spend on patient assistance programs. How much did Mylan spend on marketing. She got scolded for coming into a hearing, knowing exactly what it was about, and not having these figures available.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
Didn't get to see it -- hoping I can find online or at CSpan or they rerun.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline BensMom

Offline my3guys

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
Thanks!

I also found these links at youtube

[b][color=red]![/color][/b] No longer available

and

[b][color=red]![/color][/b] No longer available

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

name

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2016, 05:43:15 PM »
And...the CEOs mother was involved with getting Epipens in schools.

.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/20/family-matters-epipens-had-help-getting-schools-manchin-bresch/90435218/

Under the auspices of a leadership position at the NSBA.  Again, nothing we here did not call it for what it was years ago.  I know someone queried if this awareness existed on other forums, and what I'm guessing is some sort of (legitimate) cursory evaluation of critique vs. obeisance based on Mylan funding. 

I would guess not, but not based on financial influence.  Interwebz, please forgive what will undoubtedly sound like conceit or hubris, but given the professional array here I would not expect many other such watering holes of SOAK + scholarship + communication/relationships capable of producing the required analysis.  And if you think about this for the long term crew we only accrue more education and experience.

name

« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »

I don't think so, space.  The worst I anticipate for Mylan is predicated on antitrust and accounting or market irregularities that would result in fines and increased oversight.  The FDA is certainly part of this equation as it is the sole entity that can approve competitors.  Likely some personnel will be be removed as a result to appease the public and some products stuck in the pipeline may be prioritized or fast-tracked.  Administration and government oversight is my gig, not pharm per se, therefore I leave that to the appropriate subject-matter experts.

Mylan should be barred from filing citizen petitions against autoinjector competitors, particularly generics, based on its monopoly status.  They will be more heavily regulated, but not run out of business.  Sunshine is the best disinfectant, as the saying goes.   I'm more curious about what will happen to their patent claims in the next five years.  If my understanding is correct they have very little novel additions to the original design other than what really amounts to ancillary functions, such as needle cover.  Delivery, needle length, mechanics, storage of liquid, and shelf life are relatively unchanged from the original military innovation for field injection by laypersons under duress.

name

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
This is a separate observation.  Innovation, marketing, and design will soon have to track the flow of first-wave children now in adolescence and adulthood carrying epinephrine injectors.  Sure, schools are armpit-deep in dealing with students with food allergies and at the time the EpiPen4Schools program was great for market dominance.  Things have changed.  What's the plan now? 

Oh, and I'd also like to see a statement from any person serving on a board in an advisory position or executive position on what the individual's holdings are in related stocks to Aimmune or Mylan.   Any material statement that would be consistent with AICPA ethics.

name

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
W. Va. Attorney General launches investigation into Mylan for antitrust and fraud.

"Morrisey is investigating if Mylan was issuing Medicaid rebates for EpiPens at "non-innovator" levels, which are typically used for generic drugs, rather than at "innovator" levels, which are used for name-brand drugs. Since EpiPen is a name-brand drug, the company could face Medicaid fraud action if they were paying lower level "non-innovator" rebates, according to the court documents."

"I have a statutory responsibility to investigate any potential antitrust violation," Morrisey said in a statement today. "Consumers lose when competition doesn't flourish. My office owes it to consumers to be their watchdog and turn over every rock to ensure fair play."

Offline eragon

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2016, 08:03:43 AM »
I watched it live (was very late for me in UK)  and found it gripping viewing!

I dont believe the statements that EU or UK are part of the reason that Mylan are charging so much, total red herring imo.

T here is competition in EU   and in England as we have choice of 3 auto injectors and so they will be receiving  a competitive and more normal rate for their product.  The   NICE <National Institute of Clinical Excellence > within the NHS negotiate the cost. 
The NHS has a long history of taking their time on getting new medicines approved etc, but we still have choice of three auto injectors and emerade is a new recent addition. So have no clear idea why the FDA in US have not approved any other  choice. So something isnt right ( certainly looks a bit fishy if you ask me!)
On the other hand mylan have been concerned that another product may be on horizon otherwise they would not have demanded that school sign contracts that bind them to the single choice of epi pen. 

I have been also wondering about dose choices of epi pen, as in England the only current higher adult dose for auto injector is emerade from what i recently gather from my son's GP.  So what are the current dose choices in US?  My son has 2 higher dose as last anaphylaxis required 2 and his reaction was very speedy compared to previous times. 
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
The current dose options in North America are 0.15 and 0.30. The standard is to carry two autoinjectors in case an additional dose is required.

I wonder why some of the European and Asian autoinjectors haven't made their appearance here yet too. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Ciel

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread but wanted to mention somewhere.

I got a new EpiPen today, I didn't bother with a prescription and paid $154.23 total for a single EpiPen (BTC). I've never seen a two-pack here in Canada (ON).

Basically you either pay the cost of the EpiPen + the dispensing fee (with a prescription) or pay the cost of the EpiPen + 13% tax (BTC). The pharmacist told me she thought the base cost of the EpiPen was slightly less with a prescription but she wasn't sure. That sounds a bit questionable to me, but I don't know. The base cost was $136.49 CAD. So it is a little bit cheaper to have a prescription if paying out of pocket. I don't have drug coverage, but if you do, obviously it is much cheaper that way. Both should be the same concerning income taxes.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »
There are plenty of fingerprints all over the fabrication of this monopoly.  Mylan alone is not solely responsible: to ignore that critical component to market manipulation invites the same collusion in the future.  The blame needs to be portioned out accordingly.

Bresch had mommy and daddy in government and the NSBA.  Mylan funds every last allergy nonprofit out there in "patient education partnerships" with celeb spokespersons.  The FDA actually entertained a so-called citizen's petition from Mylan to block Teva's generic entry into the market.

The ugly fact is influence eased the path to total market control.  Greed is but one ingredient, and I am fearful of a short-memory public that will overlook the supporting cast scuttling away that facilitated serving us up on a platter to Mylan.

THIS post....

is a thing of savage beauty.

:yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.