FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Missouri  (Read 2972 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

Missouri
« on: May 15, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »
I am going to visit a friend in Missouri this summer.  Flying American Airlines (the thought of anything but WestJet gives me chills).

Any advice for finding allergy-friendly food in small-town America?  (Besides produce.)  Should I order a bunch of food delivered to her house? 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Missouri
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »
We absolutely love flying American.

If you want to briefly indicate the name of town or send me a message, I can look stuff up. We've visited the state a couple of times in the last year to look at a university. DS did fine (as did I, and it's more difficult for me to eat out, but he is a vegetarian).

You are vegan, yes?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
I fly into Springfield and will be staying in Joplin. 

I highly doubt restaurants will be an option, unless there is Chipotle.  Potato cross contact is very difficult to avoid in most places.  I am not brave enough to eat out here, yet alone America.  It is more the grocery store supplies, I want to make a list of safe foods for my friend to get if she wants to buy them before I arrive. 

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 03:12:30 PM »
Check out Andrea's Gluten free products (don't know about potato) but they are pn/tn free.  It's a local St. Louis company, products are available in the grocery stores.  I don't know how far they distribute, but here's the list of grocery stores that carry the products.

http://www.andreasglutenfree.com/find-us

We use Pepperidge Farm Bread, Mission Tortillas and Kings Hawaiian Bread.
Lucy's cookies, Mrs. Thinster's cookies, Enoy Life

I checked what grocery stores are there and I don't recognize any of them.  Your friend might need to do some scouting of brands.  Are there specific products?

I looked up restaurants...there is a Chipotle, Qdoba and Moe's Southwestern Grill.  All of these might be possibilities for you.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
Andrea's uses potato in everything.  It seems like every brand except Namaste has potato.  Even Daiya uses potato now and have told me to avoid all their products due to cross contact, even the shreds.

I will look up all those brands and restaurants, thank you.

What about baking ingredients: are things like flour, baking soda, and sugar from major brands typically safe for top allergens (except the ones they obviously contain, like wheat in flour), or are only certain ones safe? (I have a feeling we will want to bake.) what are the major brands, anyway?

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
Chipotle and Moe's are both great options.  Qdobe uses tree nuts in their pesto sauce and possibly potatoes; they aren't nearly as clear on their ingredients as the other two restaurants..

Off to look into those breads and tortillas.  Mmm... I love tortillas and Mexican food in general.  And bread from a store... Whaaatt? 

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »
Next company for you to check is Udi's.  Some of their product lines are pn/tn free, but not all. 

Loft house cookies have pn/tn free cookies, clearly marked on the label.

In terms of baking supplies, I use King Arthur flour, Dominos sugar, Rumford baking powder, Arm & Hammer Baking soda, McCormick's vanilla extract, Hershey's cocoa powder...

Mac might need to confirm some of these for pn.

There is also a Cici's pizza which might work for you...have only eaten at one once, and I can't say that I was impressed.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:47:26 PM »
Udi's uses potato in almost everything.  The potato allergy throws a screwball in everything since it often replaces wheat in allergy friendly products.  It also doesn't have to be on the label.

Mission Tortillas look safe, but I will email to double check.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
Mission is good about telling you about safety when you call. We eat them. Like all the time. Like we never do not have them in the house.

:hiding:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 05:49:55 PM »
We do CiCis all the time. It's across from our high school and on the way home from it.

The pizza we get:

Vegetarian but instead of green bell peppers (I won't eat them) we'll get banana peppers instead. I live this pizza.

I don't know about XC with cheese though space.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »
Wait. Sorry. It's Little Ceasar's. Yeah, CiCis is meh. It's been a while sense we've eaten there