FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Parent of B with newly diagnosed tree nut & sesame allergy  (Read 4964 times)

Description:

Offline Dorlee311

Hello! My name is Doreen, and my 5yo son B was just diagnosed with tree nut allergies and sesame seed allergies. All came about after eating a cookie offered to us at the Doubletree hotel that included walnuts. While the reaction he had to the cookie was scary as hell, I am happy it happened while with me! This was his first ever reaction to food! Yesterday testing reviled other tree nuts and sesame seeds will be a problem for him.
I am beside myself right now because he starts kindergarten this fall, and is attending a day camp right now...and I am still trying to figure out how to keep him safe. I am overwhelmed and found you guys while searching online for information about sesame allergies (which doesn't seem to have as much information and labeling as other allergies). I look forward to connecting with all of you!

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Parent of B with newly diagnosed tree nut & sesame allergy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »
Welcome Doreen!

Yes, you are certainly right about sesame not being labeled as well as other allergens.  I'm assuming that you are in the U.S. - because here in the U.S. sesame is not considered a top 8 allergen (btw, my son is sesame allergic as well).

If you want a quick reference to high risk foods with tree nuts and sesame, visit FARE's website.  They have a resource section with pocket guides you can print out.

I'm rushing off to work now, so I'm hoping some other members will chime in with info for you.  Summers tend to be a bit slower than normal here, so please be patient if you don't get a quick response.   :)

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
Welcome!  So my goal here is not to go against the medical advice you have been given, but as someone who was given incorrect advice many years ago having to do with sesame...it's just something to think about or get a second opinion.  The quick backstory is my son at 4 had a reaction to a tree nut and was then tested for peanuts, tree nuts and sesame.  Tree nuts came up positive as did sesame, however, my son had been eating Kashi cereals (which contain sesame) with no issues.  The allergist told us to take it out of his diet, we did.  We later found out years later from another allergist that unless there is a history of reactions, then we should not have taken the food out of his diet.  He is turning 12 soon and just passed a sesame challenge.  Maybe he was allergic, maybe he wasn't, but we spent 7 years avoiding sesame and maybe we didn't need to.

What kind of testing did the allergist do? Spt or rast?

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
Hello and welcome!  Familiar with those allergens and have been parenting a child with allergies who is now 17.  Lots of good people and info here.