imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Now we know, flying is safe.  (Read 1710 times)

Description: Pssst - not really

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Now we know, flying is safe.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »
Egads.

I do know my DS had a limited reaction flying on an airline that doesn't serve nuts. The woman in the row in front of him was eating peanuts and be got spacey. Well, he got spacey and then Realized she was eating peanuts.

It self resolved once he or she moved. It probably wouldn't be anaphylactic, but you can't just brush that off. The same year he also had a similar reaction when someone in a classroom was eating a granola bar.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »
No time for long reply now, but GGA, that is SO not true.  :paddle:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:21:16 PM »
just flew last week.  The airport shops and airline menus are full of peanut/nut items.  Our plane ride back reeked of peanutbutter.  I'm not sure if a family packed them or where the smell was coming from, but if ds still had allergy concerns, I would have been a complete wreck.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
This article scares me. I am one of those people like Mac's DS that will get itchy lips, a runny nose, monster headache, anxiety, and/or itchy eyes when people eat my allergens near me (within a metre guaranteed, even outdoors, possibly further indoors.) According to my current action plan, any more than one of those symptoms means EpiPen!  Thankfully, my asthma hasn't ever reacted in those situations, but I wouldn't want to risk that either.

I think this is another study that focuses on the 95% of people with food allergies that have thresholds high enough for public places not to be bothersome.  Which means it makes the remaining 5% of us look like crazy people.

I fly to America is less than a week.  I travel in long pants, long sleeves, a hooded jacket, and closed toe shoes and often still end up with a few hives from *something* in the airports.  This time I am taking a N95 mask too, As the airline I am flying with sells snacks with nuts and potato crisps, but doesn't give them out for free.  (It is only a 30-minute flight with that airline, so I deemed the risk to be fairly low.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
Simplistic.  Yes, these types of reactions are rare compared to from ingestion but my son's had contact ana multiple times (something not even mentioned as risk in the study). 

Offline kathclapp

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:44:23 PM »
Thx :)