login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Wilderness/survival method for using residual epi from single autoinjector  (Read 1952 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Thought that this was actually a very cool thing. 

OBVIOUSLY, this is not a substitute for carrying adequate supplies, nor is it for the faint of heart-- but-- if you are somewhere that you only have a couple of autoinjectors, or when you've exhausted your supply and still need additional doses...

http://www.academia.edu/5296446/Retrieval_of_Additional_Epinephrine_from_Auto-Injectors

Also-- check out reference 8, there.  I routinely have DD take 'extra' expired sets with her when she'll be somewhere remote and where she doesn't have a great way of maintaining the temperature integrity of the "good" set she carries daily.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

I started to read, but I hate needles and the photos disturbed me!  I know.....pretty lame.

Note to self, keep DD away from Wilderness situations!   :evil:

Offline Janelle205

Bookmarked - I think that we should totally tuck this into the wilderness first aid manuals we send on trips.

I get asked almost every year by a different counselor if they should use the epi if they think they are more than 15 minutes from medical help.  And the answer is always: "Yes, because if you think that you need to use the epi it is because you think that the person is going to die otherwise.  There is a reasonably good chance that it will resolve the reaction and you will be able to wait the extra time for EMS to get there.  If you use the EPI, someone might still die, but if you are using it, it is because you are pretty sure they are going to die without it."

We have never used an epi on a camper.

Offline spacecanada

I cannot read the PDF and am not willing to let this site have access to all the information they would get via my Facebook account.  Would someone be willing to email it to me via PM?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
I'll see what else I can find-- I had similar concerns, and was able to read-- just not download-- the paper, if that helps.

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

I wasn't able to read it at all without signing in somehow.  Did I miss something?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
At the bottom of the page, there is a link/button for "read paper" which, if you keep scrolling, allows me to actually SEE the complete pdf without downloading it directly. 

It might be browser specific(?)-- or maybe not at all on a mobile device, I don't know-- but you could try it with a computer browser. 

The basic method involves getting the top of the carapace of the device open without spilling the epinephrine cartridge inside-- which is STILL spring-loaded with significant force, even after initial use.  Nippers and a pocketknife seem to be the best tools, along with gloves or a towel to "catch" the spring and prevent it from pulling/propelling the epinephrine syringe mechanism out with it.

The internal syringe can, it appears, be actually used as is in the delivery of additional doses-- maybe 2 or 3.    I thought that was the most useful part of the information, myself-- the use of the internal "collar" on that syringe device to automatically deliver the proper dose (again). 

The main value of the pdf is all of the photos that go with the written explanations, which, to be honest, could have stood a LOT more peer review.  I thought that the writing was not all that helpful.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
I may actually try this method with one of our long-expired epipens, though I think it will be most helpful to try it on one of the post-2010 injectors so as to take advantage of the practice. 

If I do that, I'll try to document it fully with photos that we can post here in this thread.  :)

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
There are some supplementary videos along with the full article at the publisher's website:

Retrieval of additional epinephrine....

HTH.

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

At the bottom of the page, there is a link/button for "read paper" which, if you keep scrolling, allows me to actually SEE the complete pdf without downloading it directly. 
Got it!  I just had to use a real computer, not my iPad, to see it.