FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 131331 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Instant Pot!
« on: August 20, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »
So, I took the plunge and have purchased an Instant Pot.  Onr reason was that I was needing a new slow cooker, and this can do that, but also can do just about anything I make in the slow cooker, faster. 

I opened it last night and did the test run recommended, and then made rice for dd.  It came out sticky, but I wanted it to.  She asked if I could make sticky rice, and yes, I can!  Today, on a whim, I went to the store to get the BOGO baby back ribs and tried those.  Very good.  They cook in 23 minutes(I had a very full pot), but there is added time for the pot to heat, then decrease pressure.  So, it was maybe 45 minutes of total time in the pot.  There was time I took to prep them too, because we like a rub.  Then, they need a quick sear om the grill or in the oven, to caramelize some sauce or brown them up.  So, it was not exactly no time at all, but they are falling off the bone, and tasty and a lot faster than 4 hours in a smoker. 

I also made black beans this afternoon, starting with a pound bag of dry beans.  This would be quicker had I soaked them overnight.  However, I was able to do a quick soak method with the pot, that happened right in the pot, by heating them, then letting them sit for an hour.  Then, I rinsed them, and proceeded to actually cook them in  15 minutes.  I actually did 13 minutes, because I hoped they would remain a bit intact.  They are very good, but I would use less water next time.  More of a thick soup, but still good.  I was able to saute my onions and garlic and peppers in the pot, before cooking as well.  This cannot be done with a crock pot. 

Lastly, I made rice again, lol.  I wanted to try to make fluffy, not sticky, rice.  Dh prefers it fluffy, and separated.  He actually is in bed, with a bad tummy, so I figured he might like some plain rice later.  How ironic he felt off this afternoon when I was going crazy cooking all this great food!  The kids wont eat it either. 

All in all, I would say it was a success!  I shopped, prepped and cooked the ribs, beans and rice from 12-6, with minimal cleanup, and all in one pot.  One hour was just with the beans sitting there, and I was not working my butt off.  Some time was waiting for cycles to run. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
I bet Hux would help you with the ribs. He's probably a lot more help than with the rice, lol.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 10:56:57 PM »
I made French dips in mine today. I have done a cheesecake which was amazing, corn, chuck roast, baked potatoes, chicken with potatoes, salsa chicken, and macaroni and cheese, which is ds favorite, and hey it cooks in 4 minutes. I just love it!!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:25:37 PM »
I already had an electric pressure cooker but the sale on prime day was enough to make me buy the instant pot as well. I liked the yogurt function and that the inner pot is stainless steel. I've used it a lot already and even had BOTH of my electric PC's going at the same time. If you're on FB be sure to join the Instant Pot Community group. Lots of great tips and recipes there.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
I got this one for $69.95:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073GIN08/ref=psdc_3117954011_t1_B00FLYWNYQ

I was told the only thing I am missing is the yogurt function.  I have made yogurt, and it is easy enough without a special pot, bot for the expense if making it, it is just as easy for me to buy it, since I like the Greek yogurt.  By the time I strained mine, it was not all that much and at a high cost, since I used organic milk, and also time consuming to strain, and clean up.  I just buy it. 

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
Nameless, that is the one I have.

Becca, there are yogurt directions for yours. I'm ooimg to try yogurt one of these days when I have time. I buy a lot so it would be worth it.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:46 PM »
Every time I see the title of the thread, a different thought comes into my mind.  One involving fast-growing plants that are only legal in a few states.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:46:41 PM »
I spewed liquid on my phone screen HH.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »
I called DS yesterday to ask him if the pressure cooker we bought him a few years ago was by any chance the Instant Pot, and he confirmed it was.  He's never used the slow cooker function, only the rice and pressure cooker.  I asked him about sauteeing, and he said it's difficult because the bottom is curved and it requires more oil than usual?

I have to say I'm intrigued - I would have loved to have dinner ready faster last night!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline starlight

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
Every time I see the title of the thread, a different thought comes into my mind.  One involving fast-growing plants that are only legal in a few states.

I don't come to this part of the boards, but I see this post as the most recent post in recipes every time I go to the homepage. And I just clicked in to post this exact same thing. What are we conjuring up in here, ladies?  :watch:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »

:D

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
I do a double take when my in schooling hippy loving friends post about their Instant Pot as well  :coffee:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Ciel

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »
So, I bought an instant pot a little while ago. I have major issues with eating and actually getting food in, no motivation to cook, no desire to eat blahblahblah... In my quest to find a way to actually get food cooked and eaten I decided to invest in the instant pot. Anyway. I used it once so far, the meal was fine -- some kind of pot roast recipe. Today I'm cleaning my kitchen and moved the instant pot aside so I could wipe down the counters and the stove top... I must have accidentally hit the knob and turned the burner on....I smelled burning plastic... Yeah... the instant pot. The bottom melted off (or onto the element coil). Oh no, no, no... What a stupid, expensive, bad bad mistake! I have the windows and the door to the balcony wide open, kitchen and bathroom fans on...  I can't believe I did that.

Should I replace it? It's still on sale on Amazon. It was nice the one time I used it, easy to use and convenient. My slow cooker has been limping lately so I bought the IP to replace that too, because I actually use my slow cooker a lot. But ugh, spending the money a second time... On the other hand I need to do something so I actually eat, which I otherwise don't really do. I planned on using the grain cooker and yogurt maker features too.

Those of you that have one, would you replace right away if you were in my shoes?

I also bought two new attachments for my stand mixer as part of the same 'plan' to start eating real food again... at least those should be safe from being melted on the stove top. One would hope anyway...