login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132135 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #270 on: October 05, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
Thanks Stinky!  And thanks for the FB groups :)

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
and?  what have you done Mary? 
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: October 09, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
We had chili lime chicken...I forget just how good this is!

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
made yogurt last night
need make some compote for it today
yum!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
I did a variation on the chili lime chicken yesterday for tacos and it got rave reviews all around.  I cheated a bit by using some taco seasoning, and squeezed some lime juice, and added various other seasonings. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
My IP is getting a work out today.  I made rice to have on hand.  I know brown is better but we eat all prefer white jasmine rice and its comes out great in the IP.  Right now I am making stock with chicken bones/parts I have and later on I plan to make some more of the shredded chicken we like for tacos!  I have a few oranges and limes I need to use.  On Monday I made my first pulled pork in it.  DS said it takes just like the slow cooker one I make!

Offline BensMom

« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »
Wow, I'm curious about this chili lime chicken!

So--I'm thinking of getting one of these, but not sure I really need it or would find it that handy. For one thing, if I make, say a bean dish in the IP, then I still need rice, so I still need my rice cooker, right? This is multiple appliances in one, but not all at the same time. So how do you guys deal with that?

Do you use this instead of a slow cooker for crock pot recipes? Are there things you'd normally make on the stove-top or in the oven that you do in the IP instead, or do you have all new recipes for this (which isn't a bad thing.) This past week, I made carbonara, meatloaf, sweet and sour chicken, and bean tamale pie. Not sure I'd do any of that in the instant pot. But I guess crock pot recipes would be done in it and things like pulled pork could be done much faster. I'm just trying to figure out how helpful it would really be.

My sis sent me an Amazon gift card out of the blue. She racked up some points at work somehow and send me and my other sis $100 gift cards! She's nicer than I am, lol.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
https://ourbestbites.com/2016/03/pressure-cooker-chili-lime-chicken/

This is the recipe.  I would think that there is a way to do this is a crock pot.  DH makes chili, broth, hard boiled eggs, chili lime chicken and beef stew.  I have cooked oatmeal and mac and cheese on a pool deck with it.

I bet I can do mashed potatoes in it...any one try it yet?  Have I already asked this?

Offline MaryM

« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
I tried mashed potatoes once - I thought they were too gummy.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
Did you guys have a rice cooker before you got the instant pot and if so, do you still use your rice cooker? What if you have an instant pot meal that needs rice? I read you can buy a second insert and that it cooks rice quickly, so maybe that's the solution?

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
people use PIP - pot in pot method and I've seen a lot of posts using these

https://www.amazon.com/Aozita-Stackable-Steamer-Instant-Accessories/dp/B071GY3R42/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1508698697&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=instant+pot+accessories&psc=1

you can use a pyrex (older is better) or corning ware bowls - or any stainless bowls too (some isn't food grade though)

so you could put chicken in the bottom with some liquid and then prop a corning ware bowl on top of the chicken using the trivet or just laying it on top with your rice and water

I have a rice maker that DH and DS actually know how to use so we still do rice in that

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »
I have the set Stinky linked.  I haven’t used it yet.  The issue being doesn’t the rice and food require the same cooking time to work with pot in pot method?

Offline BensMom

« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2017, 07:57:19 AM »
So what do you do for rice becca? Do you use a rice cooker or cook it on the stove top? (I've never actually made ride in a pot on the stove. DH introduced me to rice cookers and that's all I've ever used.)

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
I’ll cook my rice in the IP.  I have an extra pot.  If I am doing both parts of a meal in the IP, I’ll do the rice first, then the other dish, or vice versa.  I’ve never owned a rice cooker.  I used to do it on the stove.

I want to try doing the rice with something else, but need to find something where the timing is all matched up.  I thought maybe I could do meatloaf and rice together, but we don’t typically have rice with meatloaf.  I’ve yet to do a meatloaf in the IP.

I’m not sure it replaces a good rice cooker.  I always have some sticking.  Not much, but need to soak the pot and scrub it after rice.  But dd and I like the sticky rice texture from the IP.

I use my IP most often for broth/stock, soup, Mac and cheese but I’m trying to avoid that, lol.  I make hard boiled eggs in it, quick meats, if I’ve not planned ahead well enough, like the chili lime chicken, or pork tenderloin like a pulled pork.  I’ve quicky used it to sauté taco meat.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »
I'm eating my IP chili right now

:)

2 lbs ground beef - browned in the IP, then added spices, onions, some water, then three cans of beans, then one small, one large can of tomatoes

10 mins NPR

done

not really quicker than doing it stove top - and it's different - my stop top chili is really bright - very tomatoey - this is darker, more cooked tasting

I like both