imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 131926 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #375 on: December 07, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
Good to know Bensmom.  Maybe I’ll try my Ropa Vieja in it this weekend.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
Made a whole chicken last night. I'll preface this by saying that we very rarely cook a whole chicken. DH makes one maybe once a year. I think it's hard to get it to be flavorful, so I don't typically love them. So this chicken turned out about as well flavor-wise as dh would make in the oven. I think I could get it to be better, because I forgot to rub stuff under the skin until after I put it on the pot, so I didn't really get under there well. I also seared the breast side on saute function, but I don't think that really did anything. The chicken was falling apart when I took it out. So I'd call it a success because it was good as far as whole chickens go, and it was faster. It was a 5.77 lb chicken and it fit in my 5qt pot. I'll probably use the rest of the meat to make chicken salad.

I also made another pot of steel cut oats. A 1:2.5 ratio of oats to water, cooked for 10 minutes worked great.

I'd like to try beans, but all my bean recipes have a bunch of other stuff, so I'm not sure how to do that. I'll have to look up IP bean recipes to figure it out.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2017, 10:21:15 AM »
I made Mexican chicken chowder

It was good I’ll post recipe later

It’s very flexible

Here is the link

https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/videos/healthy-mexican-chicken-chowder-instant-pot-recipe?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shp_20171201_video_healthyeating&utm_content=new_food

it was really good and I think healthy

I did all sweet potatoes - the red ones
and 4 large cloves of garlic

You could change the flavor profile very easily - I used a roasted tomatillo and mango salsa - It was the only tomatio one around - I was afraid it would be too sweet but it wasn't

even DS ate it

Oh I did chicken thighs - boneless
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:23:06 PM by Stinky10 »
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #378 on: December 14, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »
Bensmom, I don't have an instant pot, but cook a whole chicken at least once a month, usually in the crockpot.

The rub I use, which I also use for turkey/bone in turkey breasts:
2 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper (or so, I just guess with fresh from the grinder)

I usually do a really big chicken so that I can use leftovers (7.5-8 pounds) so for a smaller chicken I would use less.  I rub inside and out, and a loosen the breast skin and put a little under that.  I put a whole or half onion in the cavity, depending on what will fit.  You can reduce the salt to a teaspoon if you want - there is some difference, but I am a pretty good taster.  It isn't too spicy for my kids, but I have reduced the cayenne a bit for other people.

I use this so much that I just buy bulk spices at the Amish grocery now and keep a big batch.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #379 on: December 14, 2017, 08:02:30 AM »
Thanks. I did use a similar rub on the skin, and seared it (or tried to sear it), but then forgot to put more under the skin. I think I'm going to leave whole chickens to DH.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #380 on: December 14, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
I'm looking at pasta recipes now. I'll probably make some kind of basic pasta with jar sauce and either ground beef or sausage. I'm thinking if this works, the IP could be a big win on this rather than using a pot for meat and sauce and another for boiling water and cooking pasta.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #381 on: December 14, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
You people talk about left over chicken like it’s a normal thing.

I have yet to cook a chicken that doesn’t get finished in one sitting.  :hiding:

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #382 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
I don’t like pasta in the pot

Offline BensMom

« Reply #383 on: December 14, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
I'm determined to like it ;).

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #384 on: December 14, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
I would divide the mins on the box of pasta by 2 and subtract 1

I like the infused flavor of the pasta, but overall it's overcooked and homogenous - not sure that's the right word

Offline BensMom

« Reply #385 on: December 15, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
I liked it and so did the family. I used more sauce than usual--a jar and a half based on a combination of recipes. Loved the cleanup. Just put a cover on the pot and put it in the fridge. No washing a big spaghetti pot and a sauce pot and a colander. And it was about 30 minutes from start to finish--cook the meat, then put the pasta, sauce, and water in and let it go. I set it for 6 minutes for penne (box said to cook 12-13 minutes) and it was good. On my gas stove, it takes forever to boil a big pot of water.

Usually, for just basic spaghetti with meat sauce, I serve the spaghetti and sauce separately. But it was fine all together. And I have some other recipes where it all gets mixed together anyway. Some with a cream sauce. I'd have to figure out if those would work and how to do it.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #386 on: December 15, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
If my kids would eat it all saucy like that, that would be a big win for my family.  That and the macaroni and cheese! 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline BensMom

« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
How do you make mac and cheese? Do you make the sauce, then add macaroni and water?

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
The one we did for a swim meet this summer had you cook the pasta and then add the cheese to the pasta and stir as it melted.  We found the simplest/least number ingredients possible.  It was fine, but I'm not a mac and cheese eater.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
There are lots of recipes, but you basically do the pasta(about 1/2 the time on the box, and as Hezz, said, add the cheese and some milk after, and stir it in.  You can eat is creamy, right from the pot, or them, if you like, put it into a casserole and top with bread crumbs and butter and bake till the top is crunchy.  Most recipes say to use cram, or evaporated milk, but I have used the 1% or 2% milk i have on hand and it works.  It is lighter too.  I think I use less cheese than many recipes too.  Some are very decadent. 

I think I started with this basic recipe, but tweak it by using regular milk, and less cheese. 

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:37:53 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy