FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132249 times)

Description:

Offline Stinky10

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2017, 09:19:43 PM »
chili lime chicken in the pot!  it's already past 7pm here and we've been snacking - so late dinner and dinner for tomorrow before a 6pm baseball game...

>  I had red and white sangria today, and then champagne, and then a tall boy MGD  - trying to ward off the headache with a bit of coffee, a lot of water and probably some advil.....

but I have sour cream and green onions and burrito wrappers so life is good.....
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
I made a yummy, healthier version of baked potato soup, or really, a simple potato soup.  I am so bored of my bland diet, and it seemed like a way to make a baked potato more filling by adding a bunch of chicken stock to it. 

I diced and threw into the IP:

3 large russet potatoes
1/2 a large sweet onion
4 stalks of celery
few cloves of crushed garlic
few T. of bacon crumbles(just enough for flavor) Some smoky seasoning would help, if not into bacon
covered in chicken stock, enough to cook everything and not have potatoes scorch
A generous splash of half and half to the whole pot after pureeing

I did it on the soup setting.  I think I bumped it up to 12 minutes, because I need to be sure my veggies are all cooked very soft on my current diet.  You could do less time, if you like them a bit more firm.  I pureed the whole thing and adjusted salt as needed.  I have eaten it with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, and with a light sprinkle of cheddar cheese.  I think it would be just like chowder in flavor if I tossed a can of clams in it, but not sure how my tummy will tolerate clams?  But, the ingredients are the same, minus all the cream. 

I have half of this in the freezer, and have had at least 4 meals of it, and dh has had a meal of it, and I think I have more than enough for lunch today.  So, it stretches the potatoes quite a ways, meaning less carbs than if I had the potato straight up.  So, I would say there were 12 small servings in the batch, maybe 8 generous bowls. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
OMG , that looks amazing.  I want some now!  With smoked paprika instead of bacon.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
OMG , that looks amazing.  I want some now!  With smoked paprika instead of bacon.  :)

One of the few perks of being on e medically prescribed low fiber diet.  Ice cream is another...well, it was, after 6 days full fasting.  Now I have had to scale back...

So, I dumped a can of chopped clams in the rest of the soup today.  Now it is clam chowdah!  I had to thicken it a bit with some flour and water.  And now there is another full serving left, lol. 

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
becca that sounds great!

I saw on the fb group that someone did  a whole cauliflower in there!

Offline my3guys

« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
Ok just bought the instapot! I've been searching around...sounds like it's not a good idea to cook my strip steaks in there?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
Not unless you want to get into the whole sous vide thing...if I've even said that right, lol.  Think more like pot roast or pulled pork...soups.  Eggs!

name

« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »
Instant Pot was legit part of a podcast for surviving law school.  The power of Instant Pot!

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
Like NY Strip - NO NO NO NO

but this looks good - I haven't tried it yet - and welcome to the club!

http://instantpoteats.com/healthy-instant-pot-mongolian-beef-recipe/

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »
made yogurt yesterday - it's straining now

will just put some heat on some frozen berries and make a quick compote

going to make oatmeal for breakfast - and yogurt with berries...the boys will be happy - even if there is no bacon

Offline my3guys

« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
Don't worry, I didn't do the NY strip in there :misspeak:

But I finally did my first meal! It was pulled pork and so so easy and quick!! I'm excited to use it more.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
yogurt this weekend - might try to do it without heating it up to 180

did noodles and red sauce last night - SO EASY - not great but easy

1 package of penne
1 jar of sauce
1 jar of water + salt
5 mins manual - QR

dinner

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
So the short story is we have 2 instant pots, 2 different models...decided to keep one for the summer swim meets because have to feed the coaches and officials as the host team.  Broke out the instant pot today to wash it, do the water test and then hard boil some eggs which I must say came out perfectly.  Have to teach myself how to use it in case we are cooking anything in it next weekend for the swim meet.

I bought the cheap store brand eggs for DH to hard boil in the instant pot for the last swim meet and they cracked...he's never had an eggland's best egg crack during the process...anyone run into this?

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
I've heard that they tend to crack if you put them in cold

I do 2mins then natural pressure release

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
I've had some crack...the worst was Easter, and I'd bought the cheap store brand eggs to color.  Usually, one out of 6 might crack. One did today, and it oozed out of the shell, but stayed intact.  It was fine to eat.