FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132136 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #301 on: November 23, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
Stinky how did it work?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: November 23, 2017, 08:35:42 PM »
I cooked my potatoes in it, then put them through the ricer, back into the pot, mixed in the stuff and turned it on keep warm.  Worked out great.  Not my favorite recipe, but good enough.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #303 on: November 24, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
Okay y’all, since it’s Black Friday: if your house cold we’re vegetarian, do you think you’d get much use out of yours? I think a year ago the consensus was no.

I don’t see this as a good option for cooking hard boiled eggs, based on what I’ve read here.

I’m not sure what I’d use it for besides yogurt. I joined a vegetarian up group on FB last year, but the recipes were mostlyfor Indian food, which DS doesn’t like and I don’t much either these days.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: November 24, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
DH loves it for hardboiled eggs...you don't have to babysit them.  What about making your own veggie broth instead of buying already made and soups?

Have you googled instant pot vegetarian recipes yet?  I've never cooked dry beans before, but it must be quicker. 

I have to say that maybe it didn't take any less time to cook the potatoes because the pot has to come up to temperature, but I didn't have to babysit it in case of a boil-over so in that respect I was able to do other things out of the kitchen.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »
DS loves it for cooking dried beans.  And they really are so much better than canned (which I use all the time -  'cuz I'm lazy).   I am going to try cooking beans in it.  I'm also going to try making my huge weekly pot of steel cut oats in it.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »
It's the 5-qt that's on sale for $49 at Walmart. 3-quart for $49 at Amazon.

I'm terrible with sizes. I need to go look at pots I have to see what 5 quarts vs 6 quarts vs 8 quarts looks like. I have a crock pot that is often too big. But 5 quart is maybe too small for us, but good for ds.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
McC, I’ll never boil eggs on the stove again, as long as I’ve got the IP!

Many of the soups I make would work without meat. Bean, lentil, pea soups would work well.  Macaroni and cheese.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline BensMom

« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
Just checked my crock pot, which often seems way too big for what I want to make, and it's 6 quarts. I can't imagine cooking rice for dinner in a 6 quart pot.

I have a 5.5 quart regular pot that I use for chili and most soups. Then i have an 8 quart pot that I rarely use, but I have one or two recipes that are a little too much for the 5.5 quart. So I think 5 quart would be fine. I think I'm going to order the one from walmart. I can always return it.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2017, 03:41:02 PM »
Now dh is telling me to get an 8 qt instead.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #310 on: November 25, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »
Yeah, eggs seem to take as much time if not more, and you have to do more than I do—if you can’t preprogrammthe IP (I’m assuming you can). I do hard boiled eggs as an easy breakfast we can take with us in the morning.  I put them on, come back upstairs to get ready, then take them off the stove after so many minutes and peel them. If I peel them right away (which I do in the morning), I don’t have a problem peeling them 90% of the time. I’m not seeing an advantage there.

Except DH wouldn’t tell me that I’m doing it wrong. He does with eggs every damn time if he is awake and downstairs.

A number of the egg recipes I see have some cool time on high pressure and some on low pressure. I assume you can program that in the beginning so you don’t have to be there babysitting the eggs midway through?

Beans :hiding: we don’t actually eat them very often, because of my digestive system. 

Yeah, I had googled vegetarian recipes and had joined a FB group. Most of the recipes were bean-dependent—or in the case the FB group, Indian. We’ve gone off of Indian.

With everything with my car yesterday, I did not do any shopping online.  I think I will do further research.

Thanks everyone!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: November 25, 2017, 09:13:07 AM »
I certainly would not buy an IP only for making HB eggs!  It’s just a nice perk.  It runs the 4. Minute cycle, stops, and automatically goes to the warm cycle, which has a timer.  The pressure slowly goes down naturally at this point.  I try to catch it at 4-5 minutes and do an ice bath with the eggs, but they’ve been fine if I forget them for 10 mins or so.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #312 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
Yeah, I’m just trying to think of whether I would use it enough to get our money’s worth.

Here are some recipes that look good:

http://instantpoteats.com/vegetarian-instant-pot-recipes/

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
I have steel cut oats cooking right now.  I hope they're good!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
you know as much as I like mine and we like meat - I wouldn't really care if it went away

I did 6 pounds Yukon gold in it
and 5 pounds russets - all turned out good

Spanking cats for 40 years!