FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 131995 times)

Description:

Offline Stinky10

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #420 on: December 30, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
I haven't tried a stew b/c veggies will turn to complete mush in 2 mins so I don't understand any of the recipes that have them put in from the start

ok wait - stew means the meat is cut up small - hmmm ok

I'm thinking more like a pot roast - with veggies

as for Burn - I've never gotten that but I've read a million posts about it and it's not just the amount of liquid - but the thickness -  tomato sauce actually acts like a solid liquid when it heats - think of the big bubbles you'll get in a saucepan - you really need thin liquid for it to work.  At least on the bottom.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #421 on: January 01, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »
Researching Instant Pots again - is there any reason to get the yogurt function?  Would I use that function to cook other foods?  I get once you have IP yogurt, you won't go back but I can't get the majority of my family to eat yogurt unless it glows in the dark.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2018, 03:52:43 PM »
I was thinking of making yogurt with it, but when I saw how much work was involved, I changed my mind.  ~)  That said, you can also proof bread using the yogurt function.  I don't know what else you can do with it.

Sooo....

I made IP Mac and Cheese today, using the recipe posted a few pages back.  It is delicious, but...  It foamed up way too much, and when I did the quick release specified in the recipe, it sprayed foam all over the place.  I used my 6 quart pot, and 16 ozs. of macaroni, 4 cups liquid.  I also had to drain off some of the liquid when it was done.  I'm wondering if next time I shouldn't do 3 minutes on high pressure, followed by 5 minutes NPR and then release the rest of the pressure, instead of 4 minutes on high pressure, followed by QPR?   Anyone have any advice?

I didn't have evaporated milk, so I used Fairlife 2%.  It is absolutely delicious, but I think I'd add a little more hot sauce next time.  And maybe a drop of smoked paprika.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
I have started to cover the valve loosely with a dish towel when I release the pressure since I've sent pasta water all over the kitchen once.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #424 on: January 01, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
Good idea.  But I'm worried about this clogging the valve if I make it too often!  Maybe I need to cut it in half?
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #425 on: January 02, 2018, 01:40:43 PM »
I have no desire or intention of making yogurt. Mine doesn't have that function.

I sprayed pasta water all over too. So instead of doing a real quick release, I just released it a little and let it come out more slowly. I like the dishtowel idea too. GN,  you can clean the valve--remove it completely and clean it.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #426 on: January 02, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
I've made yogurt it's good
I think people use that function for proofing bread too

my reg oven has a "proof" setting

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #427 on: January 03, 2018, 06:00:25 AM »
Yeah, I clean the valve regularly, just in case.  This just seemed so... gunky. 
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #428 on: January 03, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
I think if you adjust the water a bit, you’ll reduce that issue.  It’s happened to me, too, but I release it more gradually and it’s better.  I don’t drain off the water, if it’s just a bit.  It seems to absorb along with the milk and cheeses.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
I’ve got chili in mine now.  It smelled like the beans might be scorching a bit, as it came to pressure after adding them, so, I’m trying the last bit of time on the slow cook feature.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #430 on: January 07, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »
I had some Great Northern Beans hanging around, and yesterday I saw some flanken (think short ribs, but kosher) on sale so I grabbed it.  I decided to make a mock Navy Bean soup using the flanken instead of bacon. I used smoked paprika to get the smokey flavor of ham or bacon. No real recipe, just tossed it together.  It came out great.  :)   I think tomorrow I’ll try to pick up some escarole to add in to make a more complete meal.

I’ll have lots of soup for my freezer.  :thumbsup:
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #431 on: January 09, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »
Dried beans or canned? I haven't tried dried beans yet.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #432 on: January 09, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »
Dried.  It came out great.
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #433 on: January 10, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
Success!!!

I made turkey noodle soup and it was delicious.

http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2017/01/instant-pot-turkey-noodle-soup/

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
I made pho!  It was great!

but first I pouched a chicken :)

you just put the chicken in - I added about 8 cups water - 5 t salt
set to ZERO mins Manual
NPR

it was perfectly cooked - I cleaned it and used that for the meat and broth in this recipe..

http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-pho/

I skipped the sprouts and should have gotten Thai basil
but everything else I followed
it was really really good!  DH loved it.