FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132206 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #510 on: April 22, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
The kitchen not thing I’ve ever used canned mushrooms for was chicken a la king.  My mother used a specific brand B in B, broiled in butter, was what it stood for, and they were tasty.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
I plan to make this one evening this week.

https://diethood.com/instant-pot-honey-garlic-chicken-recipe/

I’ll use a different oil and oil and skip the sesame seeds.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #512 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
That looks good. I don't think I have poultry mode. I only ever use manual. It would help if they explained what these different modes do. I thought it was just a preset cook time, like eggs would be 5 minutes, but some of them do different things I think, like beans soak for a bit and then cook or something. But the manual doesn't tell you what's going on. I found a website somewhere that explained it, but not sure I book marked it. Anyway, does anyone know what the poultry setting might do that's different from manual 20 minutes?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
I’m not sure, Bensmom, but I think it might vary the pressure during cooking.  I might have read a similar blog article about each setting, but don’t remember where it was, either.  I tend to use manual most often.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #514 on: April 24, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »
I plan to make this one evening this week.

https://diethood.com/instant-pot-honey-garlic-chicken-recipe/

I’ll use a different oil and oil and skip the sesame seeds.

I tried this tonight. I do not have a poultry setting so I just used high pressure. I browned the chicken on top of stove.

I read comments and someone mentioned adding pineapple at the end. I thought that sounded good so tried it. I don’t think it affected the chicken or the sauce...but I got to eat some pineapple.

The chicken was good. I did not like the sauce on my rice though. Had lots of rice so I threw it out and took some fresh.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #515 on: May 08, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
I have not tried these unstuffed cabbage rolls. But I plan to.

https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-unstuffed-cabbage-rolls/

This was dinner tonight.

I used 2 pounds meat instead of one, but otherwise basically followed the recipe. It was good, but not quite as flavourful as I would have liked. We decided it needs more tomato.

But, the cabbage and rice came out the perfect texture. (I used basmati rice...that’s what I had.)

This is in my pot right now. Used 2 pounds meat again. Added a can of spaghetti sauce as well as the canned tomatoes. Hoping I didn’t screw it up. The directions say to add ingredients, stir, then add canned tomatoes on top and do not stir. I added everything and stirred.

It’s still preheating...hope it pressurizes.  :crossed:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #516 on: May 08, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
BURN

Offline BensMom

« Reply #517 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »
Oh no! :(

Offline BensMom

« Reply #518 on: May 10, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
Anyone try this? Freeze stuff so it’s almost like instant?

https://acadianasthriftymom.com/2017/01/08/17-easy-freezer-dump-meals-for-your-instant-pot/

Made the honey mustard chicken a couple nights ago. Eh. I wouldn't make it again. So far from this list, the red beans are a winner and I liked the orange chicken, but dh would like it better with thighs.

I have the lemon garlic chicken still left in the freezer.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #519 on: May 27, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
So, I was trying to make this.   https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-baked-beans/

I cooked the beans on the bean setting, and followed the directions for the rest (I made the low sugar version, eliminating the brown sugar and using tomato sauce instead of ketchup).  When I returned the ingredients to the Pot, after a few minutes I got an error message and it started beeping.  I think between the molasses and tomato sauce it was overheating, so I turned it into a Corningware casserole and put it in the oven. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #520 on: May 28, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
Maybe it needed some water?

I made ribs yesterday in the IP, and they came out fine, but the pot was hissing the entire time. I stopped it twice and reset the sealing ring (it seemed slightly off, but I put it in all the way and then it seemed off again.) I was cooking 2 racks, thought it might be too crowded, so I took one out, reset the ring, washed everything--the valve, etc, and restarted and it still hissed. It did have pressure when it was done--there was pressure to release--but I don't know why it was hissing like that.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: May 28, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
Hmmm, maybe it’s the little sealing ring/gasket on the pressure release valve?  I’ve pulled that off, cleaned it, and had a better seal there.  I’m guessing at some point, these seals need replacement.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #522 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »
tomato sauce if it's thick acts like a solid -  think of it in a pot how the pressure builds and there are big bubbles that erupt if you don't stir

it's too thick for the IP and burns on the bottom

you would need to thin it out or have something else on the bottom of the pot - I didn't read the recipe though
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #523 on: June 04, 2018, 05:32:56 PM »
I think you're right, Stinky.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #524 on: July 30, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »
I wanted baked beans to go with hamburgers last night and decided to make some from scratch. They were good! Even though this recipe says they're less sweet than others, they were really sweet, so I'd cut the sugar/molasses/syrup next time. I made them ahead and then kept them on warm until dinner, so they really thickened up nicely. I had to cook them longer than the recipe says. The beans were too hard after an hour so I put them back under pressure for another 40 minutes. I didn't use bacon, so I didn't do any sauteeing before pressure cooking. I just threw the raw onions in with the beans and everything else.

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-holiday-baked-beans/

Pressure Cooker Holiday Baked Beans
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
1 hr
Total Time
1 hr 15 mins

A sweet, sticky sauce, makes these Baked Beans shine at any summer picnic.
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Americanno
Servings: 10 servings
Calories: 336 kcal
Author: This Old Gal
Ingredients

1 pound Dried Navy Beans
    6-8 slices Thick Bacon roughly chopped
    1 medium Onion roughly chopped
    3 1/4 cups Fresh Water
    1/4 cup Maple Syrup (the real stuff)
    1/3 cup Molasses
    1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
    1/3 cup Heinz Ketchup
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (secret ingredient, shhh)
    1 1/4 teaspoons Ground Mustard Seed
    1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Instructions

Rinse and sort beans, removing any debris.
    Select the Sauté or Browning function on Pressure Cooker and allow to heat.
    Add bacon and onions to the Pressure Cooker cooking pot and cook until bacon begins to render, scraping brown bits from bottom of cooking pot. Add 1/4 cup of water and continue cooking until water has evaporated, bacon fat is rendered and onions are semi-soft.
    Add beans, water, Maple Syrup, Molasses, Ketchup, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, Mustard, Pepper to the cooking pot and stir to combine.

Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.  Cook at High Pressure for 60 minutes.
    When Beep is heard, allow a 15 minute Natural Pressure Release and then open Pressure Valve to remove remaining Pressure.
    Discard any floating beans.

Add the salt. Taste a couple of beans for tenderness and sweetness and add more Molasses, if a sweeter taste is desired.  If Beans are still hard, cook for another 15 minutes.
    Select the Sauté or Browning function and cook until desired consistency.