imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Impact of Freeze/Thaw on epinephrine  (Read 1323 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Impact of Freeze/Thaw on epinephrine
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
Impact of Freeze-Thaw Cycling on....

Basically, even after being fully frozen and thawed several times-- for hours-- the EPINEPHRINE solution from an epipen was just fine-- no change or degradation.

That says nothing about possible damage to the device itself, however-- and that could very well occur upon freezing, since the solution containing the epinephrine might well expand and crack the glass, or burst a seal. 

Still, this should be VERY reassuring in terms of temperature excursions at something well above actually freezing (which probably doesn't occur above about 30F or -1C). 

:) 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Impact of Freeze/Thaw on epinephrine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:35 PM »
This is compatible with the information DH found from a couple of sources about a year and a half ago, but I didn't have him write it down. But basically it send like it was okay to do mail order Epis in the fall and spring in our state. Not that we've done that.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

Re: Impact of Freeze/Thaw on epinephrine
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:03:42 PM »
I read an article on research with similar findings about epinephrine validity after exposure to cold for prolonged periods of time.  Let me see if I can find the link:

The article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-allergy-epinephrine-idUSKCN0PB5R820150701

The research study:
http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(14)00304-4/abstract

I agree that the device itself may be adversely affected, but not necessarily.  As the mechanism for the needle is held with a spring it may have some give if the fluid were to expand when frozen. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum