login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut Reaction  (Read 8869 times)

Description: A Cell Phone Call @ 4 AM is Never Good

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Peanut Reaction
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »
Yes, so glad he's okay!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 04:19:12 PM »
Glad he's ok and keep us posted on the epi discussion. It does just sound odd to me that he didn't epi, even though he called 911. So it's not like he thought he was fine and didn't need it. Maybe he thought since he was calling 911, he'd just leave it up to them, but things can go south so fast and get beyond the point where epi will help. So scary. And peanuts/tree nuts in the buffalo sauce? Really?  :banghead: Why is that necessary?? When ds had his reaction in Israel, I didn't know until like 2 days after the fact. Made it easier in some ways.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
OK, we had a more detailed discussion last night, and while I understand why he did what he did, I reiterated to him that he should have used his Epi, then call 911 (or have his friend call 911 while he is Epi-ing himself).  For once, he actually listened to what I had to say instead of being defensive and dismissive of me.  I think it seems less abstact to him now.

So, there's an abridged version of the chain of events:

They were in Saratoga, NY, which apparently is no longer the sleepy, bucolic town I remember.   ;)  They had been out socializing, and he had two beers earlier in the evening, but by the time they decided to end the evening at the Pizza place it had been hours since his last beer.  He had the first slice of pizza, which was plain.  OK.  He added Buffalo Sauce to the second slice, and inhaled it (he generally vacuums his food  ;)), and immediately felt what he described as a really bad case of OAS - tingling, itching in his mouth and throat.  He then asked about the ingredients, and they informed him that yes, peanut ingredients were in the Buffalo sauce.

Apparently during the summer Saratoga gets a bit rowdy, so there are police stationed on the main drag where they were.  They figured the police would be able to summon  and ambulance quicker, so they spoke to the police outside who told them the ambulance was about 2 minutes away.  Since he felt fine other than the mouth symptoms, he decided to wait until the ambulance got there (insert spanking-adult-child's-hiney emoticon here).  They gave him IV Benadryl in the ambulance, and he felt better immediately.  The hospital was only about 3 minutes from where they were, so from the time he experienced symptoms to arrival at the hospital it was about 10 minutes or less.

We had an in depth conversation about his action plan - which calls for Epi if there is any known ingestion even if he doesn't have any symptoms, and why.  He seems to understand, but as I suspected, he's afraid to use the Epipen.  He said that he's made it all this time without using it, and it didn't want to start now.  ~)  I explained why waiting is so dangerous, and how illogical your thinking can become once you experience symptoms (I told him about my experience with my allergy shots, and the poor decisions I made once I couldn't think clearly).  I also told him about all the people who started out thinking their reactions were no big deal, and how they ended up dying because once the Epi was administered it was too late.

I also asked him if having the Auvi would have changed the equation at all, and he said no.

So that's the story.  He said he would call the restaurant to find out the brand of sauce for future reference; I'm curious whether peanut was an actual ingredient or a may contain/shared facility.  I'm also curious about whether or not it contained peanut oil.

I hope this is helpful to others, in terms of understanding the thought process of a young adult in the midst of a reaction.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
He wasn't completely illogical or irresponsible at least, but I'm glad he seemed to hear you. I can understand not wanting to stick that giant needle in your thigh. Tell him about the time I thought I was using the trainer and used a real epi accidentally. Sticking a trainer against my thigh and pushing until it clicks hurts my thigh. With the real one, I just though "huh, that hurt a bit more than I thought it would" and then I realized. It definitely wasn't any kind of sharp pain. Now if I had to jab myself knowing about the needle, instead of by mistake, I can see wanting to avoid that!

It's good in a way that this happened. He's old enough to take it seriously, did things mostly right, and will remember and will be more careful.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »
GN, sorry he went through this, but glad he's OK.

Not that this in consolation of any sort, but if I were in his place I wouldn't have used epi....though as. Mom I know he should have.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
I asked ds about it--he said it didn't hurt when he used his.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »
I don't think it's the pain he's afraid of. I think it's the whole concept.
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »
Just reading this now!  Have not been on here much lately.  So sorry bout the whole ordeal!  So GLAD he is okay!  At least he did go to the hospital, and in an ambulance. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline BensMom

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »

Just the idea of it--like he just wants to never have to use it? Hmmm. I guess I kind of get that, but not really. Maybe using it makes it all too real.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »

Just the idea of it--like he just wants to never have to use it? Hmmm. I guess I kind of get that, but not really. Maybe using it makes it all too real.

I know I've felt this way with DS in the past. By giving the Epi, I'm admitting it could be fatal...Luckily I got over that mental hurdle and used it when I needed to.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
To me it hurts worse the next day. I haven't felt much pain while injecting it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »
I totally understand his thought process - I mean I could see doing the same thing in that situation even knowing what I know......its puzzling and silly really - but I get it. 
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
Stinky, I get it too.  It really was rational, and if it were me I'd probably have done the same - even though I know it was not correct.

So he called the restaurant today to find out what was actually in the hot sauce, and what brand it was.  They said they make it there, and add peanut butter to it. So naturally we had to joke that they put in "just a little - not enough to change the taste, just enough to send someone to the hospital".   ~)

So there you have it - another potential source of peanut protein.  Hot sauce.   :tongue:
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »
Wow, that's insane. Most restaurants (and um, people) are pretty aware of peanut allergies and how severe they can be. Seems incredibly moronic to add pb to something that doesn't need it and that most people would assume wouldn't have it. And if they do, you'd think there would be signs all over the place.  :disappointed:

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »
Crazy about adding pb to hot sauce.  Your son did a lot of things right.  Glad he's ok.