Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

Author Topic: Insect venom allergy  (Read 335 times)

Description:

Offline Puddles

  • New Member
  • **
  • Posts: 34
Insect venom allergy
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:02:29 AM »
My teen is allergic to some insect bites and stings. Those he's not allergic to, he still has an "over-reaction" to what most people do.

Saturday evening he was bit by something. (He thinks a mosquito, and I did find one in his room.) The bite was between the pointy finger and the middle finger. By Sunday night it was red and swollen all the was to the wrist. Itchy as well. The area closest to the bite looked swollen kind of like a blister. (It did not feel like a blister.) But there was liquid seeping out. That's never happened before.  It looked like the clear fluid that sometimes seeps from a wound, which I think helps in the healing process. Would it make sense for that from an insect bite?

The only other thing I could think of is the insect venom, but I doubt that. This morning his hand is still swollen. He took antihistamine last night.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:04:23 AM by Puddles »

Online rebekahc

  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2,964
Re: Insect venom allergy
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
DD has a similar reaction to certain types of mosquitos.  She'll usually end up with a little, hard, cyst-like bump where the bite was for a while after the other symptoms go away.  The oozing generally only happens if she's scratched at it, though.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Puddles

  • New Member
  • **
  • Posts: 34
Re: Insect venom allergy
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
It's possible he was scratching. He's usually really good about not scratching. But he was working on his computer and may have done it unconsciously.

Offline hezzier

  • Moderator
  • Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,285
Re: Insect venom allergy
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
DD also has large local reactions to some mosquito bites but not others.  She ends up with a red welt about the size of a CD.  Interestingly enough, she was stung by a bee for the first time recently and had a reaction that involved racing heart, increased body temp and nausea, but no swelling.
DS (12 yrs) TN
DD (15 yrs) cat, wasps and yellow jackets

NH, USA

Offline Puddles

  • New Member
  • **
  • Posts: 34
Re: Insect venom allergy
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »
DD also has large local reactions to some mosquito bites but not others.  She ends up with a red welt about the size of a CD.  Interestingly enough, she was stung by a bee for the first time recently and had a reaction that involved racing heart, increased body temp and nausea, but no swelling.

That's scary. Did it resolve on it's own or did you give her anything?

Offline hezzier

  • Moderator
  • Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,285
Re: Insect venom allergy
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »
It resolved on it's own, but at one point she was breathing rapidly and I asked her if she was having trouble breathing, she said no, it was because she was going to be sick (she didn't get sick, I managed to get her body to cool down quickly with ice packs).  She has an appt with the allergist in November.  You have to wait 8 weeks after a sting to get tested.  There is a possibility that it was a physiologic response to pain...not sure which situation is better/worse...both are not good.
DS (12 yrs) TN
DD (15 yrs) cat, wasps and yellow jackets

NH, USA