FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Old El Paso  (Read 5737 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Old El Paso
« on: December 20, 2016, 08:32:11 PM »
Wondering if Old El Paso taco seasoning is safe. (I searched the forum and didn't find anything,)

I used to eat it. Stopped a long time ago. I thought I stopped because of the cumin recall, but I just looked, and cumin is not an ingredient.  DH thought I stopped because of cross contamination. But I'm thinking we just started seasoning without it.

Anyway, going for a Christmas visit, and the hostess asked if I can eat this.

It's General Mills.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Old El Paso
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
I do other Old El Paso things (and do El Paso itself when I get the chance, lol). But I don't know that I've had this. We tend to make our own.

In terms of peanut there is nothing I would worry about. I would not worry much about sesame (and don't really worry about sesame much at all with Mexican food--okay, really st all. I don't worry at all). But I haven't called them in it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 06:52:34 AM »
Thats our go to Taco seasoning - I am PN/TNA and the kids are dairy/egg.  I did not call but we use it pretty often and I know they were not involved in the cumin/peanut recall.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:09:28 AM »
I sent an e-mail last night. But not holding out much hope to get a proper response in time.

From their FAQ page:

I am trying to avoid nuts, peanuts and other allergens. Do your products contain these ingredients?
General Mills Canada recognizes how difficult it can be to live with food allergies. Our policy is to list the following allergens and sensitizing agents in the ingredients list of any product which contains: peanuts tree nuts crustacean (shrimp, prawns, crab, lobster, crayfish) fish egg and egg products milk and milk products wheat and related grains mollusks (clams, oysters, scallops) seeds (sesame, sunflower) soybean and soy products sulfites (sodium bisulfite & sulfur dioxide) tartrazine (Yellow Dye #5) monosodium glutamate When present, these ingredients are listed in the ingredients list by source. General Mills may also highlight the presence of allergens in a contains or may contain statement immediately below the ingredients list.

So..they may list may contain.  :rant:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Well, at least they list contain for sesame for you. That's cool.

Seriously, I just don't find sesame to be an issue with Mexican food or TexMex. And I don't think peanut is really a concern for them.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
Well, at least they list contain for sesame for you. That's cool.

Seriously, I just don't find sesame to be an issue with Mexican food or TexMex. And I don't think peanut is really a concern for them.

Canadian law requires listing sesame when it's an actual added ingredient.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
I phoned.

This may be Canada specific, but their priority allergens (which includes all of mine) they do label may contain if there is risk.

I'm pretty sure GM has been on my "friendly" list for a long time. But....I'm always a bit more paranoid than usual at Christmas.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:43:43 PM »
Good news.

I got a response to yesterday's e-mail. It confirms the same details as the CSR on the phone today.

It's like getting an early Christmas present.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:54 PM »
That IS good news. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
So, they will list may contain if there is risk (ie shared lines) or if they think there is a risk? Some companies don't think shared lines is a risk if they clean between products.  :-/ 

That being said, we eat their soft tortillas without issue.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
We eat a lot if GM products without problems.

We stopped eating their shells because they tasted yucky.